NC and MD Cyprinids

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rndouglas

rndouglas
  • NANFA Member
  • Maryland

Posted 01 May 2017 - 08:20 PM

My friend caught this minnow (shiner?) in a cast net on the Neuse River in Lenoir Co., North Carolina last week. And I'm completely lost after spending a couple hours over the past week trying to figure it out. Is it a Cyprinella species? Or am I waaaaay off as usual? I wish I'd taken more photos, but my wife texted, "Why are you guys stopped at a river? I thought you said you left," and after I cursed myself for setting up our phones to share locations I thought it prudent to be on our way back to Maryland.

pXP33hf.jpg

I caught this next one on the Patapsco River in Maryland last week. When it came out of the water I yelled "Chub!" to my friend. And I've been second guessing myself ever since. I'd really like to figure this one out on my own, but could someone let me know if this guy does, or does not, have "chub" in its common name?

oXQihpX.jpg

UQWOl5E.jpg

voyCEid.jpg

eTAzvYe.jpg

I realize now that I wish I had taken more images of non-dorsal fins.

68E7ccd.jpg

EiR1N58.jpg

#2 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 01 May 2017 - 09:12 PM

First fish looks like Eastern silvery minnow; second is River chub.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#3 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 01 May 2017 - 10:04 PM

Yep, the Nocomis (Chub) is very obvious... good pictures... actually in the one looking down on his head, you can see what looks to me to be the beginnings of tubercules... 

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#4 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 02 May 2017 - 05:24 AM

""Why are you guys stopped at a river? I thought you said you left," and after I cursed myself for setting up our phones to share locations I thought it prudent to be on our way back to Maryland."

Man, the the time has come for a neo-Luddite fishophile uprising. (And I'm gonna lead the charge just as soon as I finish this post and set up a crowd sourcing site...)
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users