Photo

LFS Find

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Cu455

Cu455
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 06 May 2017 - 12:30 PM

I went to the LFS to get brine shrimp and black worms. They were out of both but I found these guys the ghost shrimp tank. I am pretty sure it is a molted Brown Bullhead. I am unsure about the other fish but the lady told me it was a goal be comma so any help I can that would be great. There was also a stick bug which was pretty cool.

Attached Files

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 06 May 2017 - 02:04 PM

can't tell anything about your bug or the cat, but that other fish is a darter... likely swamp darter as these are very common in feeder shrimp tanks.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 MtFallsTodd

MtFallsTodd
  • NANFA Member
  • Mountain Falls, Virginia

Posted 06 May 2017 - 02:24 PM

The catfish looks like a haplo
Deep in the hills of Great North Mountain

#4 Doug_Dame

Doug_Dame
  • NANFA Member

Posted 06 May 2017 - 04:28 PM

My first take on the catfish was also that it might be a brown hoplo. But the photo is pretty fuzzy. If it has an armored look, it ain't native. 

Swamp darters are almost always skinny like that, and have the green and gold as this one does. They often take a bent posture like the first photo too. Feeder shrimp usually come from Florida, at least on the east coast. So not many candidate darters to choose from. This is certainly not a brown darter nor is it a blackbanded. 

Doug Dame

Floridian now back in Florida

#5 Cu455

Cu455
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 06 May 2017 - 05:46 PM

Thanks for the info. The catfish is penny sized and was in the ghost shrimp tank. Are haplo found in feeders tanks? Below are some better pictures. I am pretty excited about the darter.Attached File  20170506_183828.jpg   56.04KB   0 downloadsAttached File  20170506_183704.jpg   56.36KB   0 downloadsAttached File  20170506_153012.jpg   75.34KB   0 downloadsAttached File  20170506_183110.jpg   49.06KB   0 downloads

#6 lilyea

lilyea
  • NANFA Member
  • Peace River Watershed, Central Florida, USA

Posted 06 May 2017 - 07:46 PM

The bug appears to be a water stick bug (aka water scorpion) and I agree with the swamp darter ID.  The catfish image is still difficult for me to see.  From my experience, Florida brown bullheads are born black and then begin to get their mottling when they reach about 1-2".  As the mottling starts to appear on the sides and top, the underside will lighten.  To repeat Doug's question, do you see any armoring/oversize scales?

#7 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 07 May 2017 - 08:07 AM

The water scorpion is easy to keep but will require relatively small live prey to keep it fed.  

Find ways for people not already interested in natives to value them.

#8 Cu455

Cu455
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 12 May 2017 - 07:34 PM

It doesn't look like there is armor. Here is another video. the best shot is just after the 18 second mark.

#9 lilyea

lilyea
  • NANFA Member
  • Peace River Watershed, Central Florida, USA

Posted 12 May 2017 - 08:17 PM

The images are still difficult to see but the shape of the body and finnage is consistent with a bullhead (albeit very thin) and based on the mottled pattern on the side it appears to be a Florida brown bullhead.

#10 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 13 May 2017 - 08:29 AM

This fish has nasal barbels (the pair sticking up on top of snout).  Hoplosternum don't have those.  It's a bullhead.

Based on the way it's swimming in the latest video, it looks sick.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users