Photo

Orangespotteds in SE Illinois

23 replies to this topic

#1 AMcCaleb

AMcCaleb
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 10 May 2017 - 04:58 PM

Anyone have any good places in SE Illinois for Orangespotteds? What should I be looking for as far as habitat and where should I fish for them?

#2 JasonL

JasonL
  • NANFA Member
  • Kentucky

Posted 10 May 2017 - 05:25 PM

I have found large numbers of Orangespotteds in the swamps and sloughs of the Ohio River floodplain here in western KY. Caught them with a simple dipnet along the shoreline. There are similar habitats in southern Illinois right across the river. I see no reason why they wouldn't be there too.

#3 AMcCaleb

AMcCaleb
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 10 May 2017 - 05:39 PM

I have found large numbers of Orangespotteds in the swamps and sloughs of the Ohio River floodplain here in western KY. Caught them with a simple dipnet along the shoreline. There are similar habitats in southern Illinois right across the river. I see no reason why they wouldn't be there too.

What type of water should I be looking for?

#4 JasonL

JasonL
  • NANFA Member
  • Kentucky

Posted 10 May 2017 - 05:52 PM

The ones I found were not far from the main river in fairly shallow turbid, muddy areas that were part of the floodplain. Here was one spot where I found large numbers of them. There are similar areas across the river in southern Illinois.

image.jpeg

#5 AMcCaleb

AMcCaleb
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 10 May 2017 - 06:04 PM

Awesome! Thanks

#6 4WheelVFR

4WheelVFR
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 10 May 2017 - 06:38 PM

Horseshoe lake may have them, but with the River up I'm not sure what everything looks like down there.  

#7 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 10 May 2017 - 06:38 PM

Muddy water is the ticket.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#8 AMcCaleb

AMcCaleb
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 10 May 2017 - 06:48 PM

Thanks guys. What size hooks do you catch them on? I usually use size 10 or 12 hooks with a little wax worm or piece of wiggler on it

#9 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 10 May 2017 - 06:55 PM

List from a couple hours sampling Horseshoe Lake back in 2007

Dorosoma cepedianum ?
Notemigonus crysoleucas
Ameiurus natalis
Esox americanus vermiculatus
Labidesthes sicculus
Gambusia affinis
Lepomis gulosus
Lepomis humilis
Lepomis macrochirus
Micropterus salmoides
Pomoxis annularis
Pomoxis nigromaculatus

So you can find them there for sure. Also caught bowfin, tadpole madtom, and it seems like pirate perch and banded pygmy sunfish.

Edit, yes pirate perch, pygmy sunfish, and central mudminnow were also found.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#10 JasonL

JasonL
  • NANFA Member
  • Kentucky

Posted 10 May 2017 - 09:39 PM

Horeshoe Lake is incredibly diverse. Well worth the drive to those in the region interested in native fishes.

#11 AMcCaleb

AMcCaleb
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 10 May 2017 - 09:49 PM

Where's it at?

#12 AMcCaleb

AMcCaleb
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 10 May 2017 - 09:52 PM

Is it over by St Louis?

#13 JasonL

JasonL
  • NANFA Member
  • Kentucky

Posted 10 May 2017 - 10:13 PM

The Horseshoe Lake referred to in this thread is in the extreme southwest corner of Illinois between Cape Girardeau MO and Cairo IL, right off State Highway 3. Check google maps and you can't miss it.

Word of warning. I was just south of there earlier today and the Mississippi is really high right now. A lot of the surrounding area is flooded pretty badly so I'm not sure how accessible that area is right now.

Another tip. If driving in the Cairo vicinity do not even go a few MPH over the speed limit. There are tons of speed traps in that area and you will readily get pulled over for even minor infractions. I know someone who got a ticket going 29 in a 25. I honestly think it's a major source of income for the region which is fairly poor overall.

#14 4WheelVFR

4WheelVFR
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 10 May 2017 - 10:37 PM

Once the water levels get back to normal I'll be ready do some collecting down there.  Would love to see some humilis.

#15 AMcCaleb

AMcCaleb
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 10 May 2017 - 10:42 PM

I found the lake you're talking about. I'll definitely be making a trip down there sometime this summer.

#16 4WheelVFR

4WheelVFR
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 10 May 2017 - 10:55 PM

If you want some company, hit me up.  I'm always up for collecting.....and by always, I mean mainly on wed's and thurs lol.  Being in law enforcement, weekends are not actually weekends haha.

#17 AMcCaleb

AMcCaleb
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 10 May 2017 - 11:02 PM

If you want some company, hit me up.  I'm always up for collecting.....and by always, I mean mainly on wed's and thurs lol.  Being in law enforcement, weekends are not actually weekends haha.

I'm a minister so weekends aren't weekends for me either. Thursday's are usually my day off on a typical week. It would probably be sometime mid to late June before I would be able to head down there but I'll contact you and we'll see if we can meet up down there.

#18 4WheelVFR

4WheelVFR
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 10 May 2017 - 11:06 PM

Cool.  Sounds good to me.  Just get in touch whenever you're planning on going.

#19 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 12 May 2017 - 01:09 PM

If targeting Orangespotted Sunfish in the Horseshoe Lake drainage, then I would hit the ditch draining the lake concentrating on shallow flowing areas with minimal vegetation.  Best places for me more than a couple hundred yards down stream.  I used to hit that area hard a lot over about 15 years.

Find ways for people not already interested in natives to value them.

#20 4WheelVFR

4WheelVFR
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 12 May 2017 - 10:41 PM

If targeting Orangespotted Sunfish in the Horseshoe Lake drainage, then I would hit the ditch draining the lake concentrating on shallow flowing areas with minimal vegetation.  Best places for me more than a couple hundred yards down stream.  I used to hit that area hard a lot over about 15 years.

Are you talking about past the spillway?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users