Photo

Very Small Water Striders in Aquarium

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:10 AM

I have some of these established in my aquarium.  They appear to be eating floating feed.  Origin unknown.  Never had this before.  Will attempt to photograph tonight.

Find ways for people not already interested in natives to value them.

#2 swampfish

swampfish
  • NANFA Member

Posted 16 May 2017 - 01:03 PM

I've had water treaders, Family Mesoveliidae, in my aquariums occasionally. They are green, about 2mm long, run on the water surface, but do not have the long legs of water striders, Family Gerridae. Generally they've shown up when I've brought in outdoor plants or plants from an auction that were probably in someone's pond. There are several families of true bugs, Hemiptera, that live on the water surface including water striders, water measurers, water treaders, and velvet bugs. They all fly as adults. In fact, the water treaders showed up in aquariums several feet from the outdoor plants, but they were near a window, and these insects fly to light. All are predatory, but only the largest are likely to take even fry. 

Phil Nixon

University of Illinois Entomologist

#3 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:40 PM

The tank does not appear to have recent connectivity with outdoors involving plants. I brought in some large rocks from stream back December and added them to tank for use as structure..

Find ways for people not already interested in natives to value them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users