Photo

Some help with a few minnows from the Chattooga, please.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 29 May 2017 - 09:01 AM

Kerry, Erin, and I made an afternoon run to the mountains today. Did a hike to a pretty waterfall then hit the river at the Burrells Ford bridge. Got a little wider diversity of species than I usually manage, and some of the ones I do know just looked different. A couple of these I don't know at all, but the others I think I have down...

These photos are more like my normal offerings, but I think good enough with which to work. A couple of these would be SC lifers and/or all-time lifers for me.

Central Stoneroller, right? Would be an SC lifer for me.

Attached File  DSCN2348.JPG   79.98KB   1 downloads

Mirror Shiners? The last two are the same fish, one picture showed details better, one hinted at the colors better. Would be an all-time lifer.
Attached File  DSCN2324.JPG   74.13KB   1 downloads
Attached File  DSCN2356.JPG   82.05KB   1 downloads
Attached File  DSCN2357.JPG   107.61KB   1 downloads

Enough here to call this a River Chub? When it came out of the water it look way more "chubbish" than it does here, and it's so small I don't know if there's enough to distinguish it from Mr. Bluehead. Would be an all-time lifer though, so what the heck...
Attached File  DSCN2352.JPG   85.21KB   1 downloads

No flippin' clue on this dude, and I don't expect you can do much with this photo. There were two of these caught, and they were easily separated from other fishes by their transparency and their determination to swim at the surface.
Attached File  DSCN2354.JPG   83.45KB   1 downloads

What about these dace? Most of the dace a caught were easily Longnoses. One or two when they came out of the water looked very Western Blacknose to me, which I liked 'cuz those'd be SC lifers for me. But in the pictures and book descriptions they seem as much (or more) Longnose.

Attached File  DSCN2339.JPG   100.15KB   0 downloads
Attached File  DSCN2343.JPG   115.14KB   0 downloads
Those first two pics are obviously Longnoses, even in my poor photos. This last one though, was "definitely" Western Blacknose" when it came out of the river; now I don't know.
Attached File  DSCN2346.JPG   137.29KB   0 downloads

Gratuitous scenery shot...
Attached File  DSCN2368.JPG   238.62KB   0 downloads

Attached Files

Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#2 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 29 May 2017 - 11:10 AM

Agree with stoneroller and (probable) mirror shiner.  "no flippin clue" might also be mirror shiner.

Cannot ID the Nocomis chub - could be either river or bluehead, if both occur in that basin.

3rd dace:  i agree looks more like blacknose, but i can't quite rule out longnose.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#3 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 29 May 2017 - 11:28 AM

Thanks, Gerald. I was pretty sure on the Stoneroller. I'm also pretty sure I have seen a school of adult Stonerollers grazing through that same location, but for some reason haven't ever let myself "count it" for listing. The Mirror Shiner (probable) I used mostly the size of the eye and the wedge shaped caudal mark for id-ing. They just didn't look as tubular-shaped as most of the pictures I've seen, though, so if that spot had been more squarish I'd have been tempted to call it a Tennessee. That third dace is killing me. I had no doubt that it was a Blacknose when it came out the water. The pattern was stronger than in the picture (quite a bit of time in a white bucket), the mouth shape seems very Blacknose, but it's inferior enough to make me think Longnose. When I was in Michigan last summer and got both species from the same stream in the northern reaches of the Lower Peninsula there was no doubt as to the difference. (Posted the pics, too.) Not so here.Ugh. There are both Blueheads and Rivers in there; thanks for the look, didn't figure it would be a useful pic.
Matt Knepley

#4 sbtgrfan

sbtgrfan
  • NANFA Member
  • Charleston, SC

Posted 29 May 2017 - 12:03 PM

Definitely a mirror shiner. the wedge is the giveaway. If it was a square, it'd be a Tennessee. 

Stephen Beaman
Freshwater Aquarist
South Carolina Aquarium
Charleston, SC

#5 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 29 May 2017 - 04:25 PM

100% Campostoma on the first.

100% that you have a Nocomis in your hand. At that size if there is more than one species in the drainage then good luck!

And that is a blacknose dace. If not it is due to your photo skills, get better at it. :biggrin:

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#6 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 29 May 2017 - 07:08 PM

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the verification of my caudal marking skills, Stephen. I often have a hard time telling a streak from smudge from a spot from a you get the idea.

"And that is a blacknose dace. If not it is due to your photo skills, get better at it." Here's the DLV we know and love!
Matt Knepley

#7 sbtgrfan

sbtgrfan
  • NANFA Member
  • Charleston, SC

Posted 30 May 2017 - 06:19 AM

The mirrors will almost always have a definitive triangular shape, no mistake about it. I've never come across one where I've said hmm, is that a triangle or a square....Granted the squares can be tough sometimes, but I'm unsure of what other species it could be right there with a squareish spot that looks anything similar...but it is 715 in the morning so my brain isnt working well. 

Stephen Beaman
Freshwater Aquarist
South Carolina Aquarium
Charleston, SC

#8 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 31 May 2017 - 01:49 PM

Do you purposely target the smallest fish possible?

Josh Blaylock - Central KY
NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#9 taldridge0321

taldridge0321
  • NANFA Member
  • Pigeon Watershed, North Carolina

Posted 31 May 2017 - 01:50 PM

Lol!

#10 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 31 May 2017 - 04:00 PM

Ben and company have their microfishing; I have mine, Mr. Haterpants.
Matt Knepley

#11 BenCantrell

BenCantrell
  • Sebastian, FL

Posted 31 May 2017 - 04:12 PM

Crop those photos!

#12 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 31 May 2017 - 04:22 PM

Ben and company have their microfishing; I have mine, Mr. Haterpants.

Yeah, but nanofishing....

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Josh Blaylock - Central KY
NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#13 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 01 June 2017 - 05:57 PM

Touche', my friend. Touche'.
Matt Knepley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users