Pic of Cherry Darter (E. etnieri)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_TomNear_*

Guest_TomNear_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2007 - 05:30 PM

Hey All, This is a test to see if I can upload a photo! This is from a trip that I did last week to the Caney Fork in Middle Tennessee. As I edit the photos, I will post more. We have some great shots of the Caney endemic barcheek, E. basilare. Also, we made a stab into the lower Tallapoosa and have photos of the Tallapoosa Bridled Darter.

Attached Files

• Attached File  Eets.JPG   369.73KB   5 downloads

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2007 - 06:13 PM

Now THAT'S a snubnose darter! I don't think I've come across one in the flesh. I was just looking this afternoon at the article describing the species by Ray Bouchard from North Alabama. Only black&white photos were printed, unfortunately.

#3 Guest_TomNear_*

Guest_TomNear_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2007 - 06:31 PM

Indeed, and one of the earliest snubnoses described. They are really common in the Caney system. We have encountered them just about everywhere in the basin. Also, rather interesting is that phylogenetically E. etnieri appears most closely related to the E. zonistium group, E. raneyi, and a slug of snubnoses endemic to the Mobile. Very interesting pattern that adds evidence to the idea that most clades have idosyncratic biogeographic patterns, etc.

Back to the pic, I am just learning the craft. We are using a digital SLR with a 60 mm macro lens, with the fish in a squeeze tank. Any, and all, suggestions would be appreciated. I am not happy with the background shadow gradient, but we have had success using a flash (with diffuser) on a shoe cord. We move the flash around to different angles, etc.

#4 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2007 - 07:42 PM

Indeed, and one of the earliest snubnoses described. They are really common in the Caney system. We have encountered them just about everywhere in the basin. Also, rather interesting is that phylogenetically E. etnieri appears most closely related to the E. zonistium group, E. raneyi, and a slug of snubnoses endemic to the Mobile. Very interesting pattern that adds evidence to the idea that most clades have idosyncratic biogeographic patterns, etc.

Back to the pic, I am just learning the craft. We are using a digital SLR with a 60 mm macro lens, with the fish in a squeeze tank. Any, and all, suggestions would be appreciated. I am not happy with the background shadow gradient, but we have had success using a flash (with diffuser) on a shoe cord. We move the flash around to different angles, etc.

Really nice photo. If the subject had only spread his caudal fin a bit more....Fishes never cooperate that way. That shadow is nothing compared to natural light photos and might easily be corrected by a quick background cleaning. Some programs have a build in function to provide uniform backgrounds (one click cleaning). I don't think the slight shadow takes away from the photo in any way.

#5 Guest_TomNear_*

Guest_TomNear_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2007 - 08:52 PM

The caudal fin is my fault. We immobilze the specimen in concentrated and cold formalin for about 30 seconds, then with latex gloves on we spread the fins. I forgot the caudal since I had just photographed a dozen E. basilare.

I am gathering the pics for the darter book that I am working on in my head. It will come out in 2025!

#6 Guest_madtom15_*

Guest_madtom15_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2007 - 09:08 PM

Tom,

So you're the one we should expect to publish a Handbook of Darters/American Darters take II?

Travis

#7 Guest_TomNear_*

Guest_TomNear_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2007 - 09:14 PM

Travis,
I think we should wait and see if Larry Page decides to update his book. My book idea is a little different, but contain all of the species accounts. Regardless, it would not even get a start for a long time. I have to get tenure first!

#8 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2007 - 08:09 PM

If you set up the background a few feet behind the photo tank you won't get a shadow.

#9 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2007 - 03:54 PM

I think the grayer part of the background looks better than the white part, for showing the detailed outline of the fish. Too much contrast against the white part.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users