Photo

silverside suicide

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 don212

don212
  • NANFA Member

Posted 03 June 2017 - 08:31 AM

my silverside captured a few months ago with Casper and Mike, leaped out of my tank a few days ago, kind of sad, many of my aquarium residents are special, for the people events and locations associated with their procurement, i have a loggerhead turtle presented to me at dinner by  Casper, a group of coastal shiners captured during a 5 day canoe trip, my flagfish came from a chainstore, but in exchange for an exotic catfish, i caught, and brought to the store, memories are a side benefit of collecting.

#2 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 03 June 2017 - 05:34 PM

:)

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#3 keepnatives

keepnatives
  • Regional Rep

Posted 03 June 2017 - 11:57 PM

For sure the stories are huge.  I'll always remember Casper's gifting of the turtle at the restaurant that waitress was quite understanding.

Mike Lucas
Mohawk-Hudson Watershed
Schenectady NY

#4 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 04 June 2017 - 08:02 AM

The memories sure are a big part of it for many of us, including myself. Some fishes retell adventures when you see them. Others are almost like comfort food, soothing and reassuring and nostalgic. (And of course, some might be actual FOOD, too!) Some remind you of friendships; I have yet to me a Nocomis that doesn't make me think of Mike Wolfe! Or a Speckled Madtom that doesn't make me recall with equal parts shame, guilt, and amusement Mr. Beaman and I being asked for a directions by a lost old lady who saw us streamside. We consulted the DeLorme, and authoritatively (but of course, accidentally) sent her so nowhere near where she wanted to go she's probably still lost. A whole host of other fishes bring forth memories.

So yes, Don, it is kinda sad. But at the risk of being a weenie, I think maybe "bittersweet" is more appropriate. I hope a new sentimental arrives in due time to fill its spot in your tank, mind, and heart.
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#5 don212

don212
  • NANFA Member

Posted 06 June 2017 - 11:55 AM

For sure the stories are huge.  I'll always remember Casper's gifting of the turtle at the restaurant that waitress was quite understanding.

that was a hoot wasn't it

#6 FirstChAoS

FirstChAoS
  • Regional Rep

Posted 06 June 2017 - 10:55 PM

a loggerhead sea turtle? How big of a tank do you have?

Collecting with others leads to great stories, like me and mike seining a beaver.

Oh, and Silverside Suicide sounds like a name for a fish themed band.

#7 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 07 June 2017 - 06:43 AM

Musk turtle.  

Nick L.

#8 az9

az9
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 08 June 2017 - 06:33 AM

my silverside captured a few months ago with Casper and Mike, leaped out of my tank a few days ago, kind of sad, many of my aquarium residents are special, for the people events and locations associated with their procurement, i have a loggerhead turtle presented to me at dinner by  Casper, a group of coastal shiners captured during a 5 day canoe trip, my flagfish came from a chainstore, but in exchange for an exotic catfish, i caught, and brought to the store, memories are a side benefit of collecting.

Not sure if it's practical for you guys, but I have fine bird netting I stretch over my fish tanks to prevent that. 

#9 don212

don212
  • NANFA Member

Posted 08 June 2017 - 10:04 PM

Collecting with others leads to great stories, like me and mike seining a beaver.

Oh, and Silverside Suicide sounds like a name for a fish themed band.

sounds like a metal band, 4 inch juvenile loggerhead musk turtle in a 10 gallon tank

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users