Photo

Stocking 125 gallon MA community tank

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pdmoroark

pdmoroark
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 22 June 2017 - 11:34 AM

Hello all! I'm in charge of captive animal care at the nature center I work at, and in the last year the organization decided we ought to have a native species freshwater community tank. I've got lots of experience with animal care in general and a moderate amount of experience with aquaria, but this large community tank is new territory for me.

I've currently got 9 common shiners in a 125 gallon aquarium. The shiners are roughly 6 or 7 inches long. There's large wood pieces and a variety of artificial plants (I've never done a planted aquarium... one step at a time!). I wouldn't characterize it as a stream tank, but there is current driven by a powerhead.

I'd like to add more fish of different species, but I don't know which species would be good tank mates with the shiners and each other. I'm also limited to species that can be found in Massachusetts.

Suggestions?

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 22 June 2017 - 12:09 PM

Check out this thread on what we did down here in Georgia.  We had some doubters, but it has been up and running for over there years now, so your project is definitely doable.  I am no expert on your MA fishes... but I think there are some things that are more or less obvious.  No catfish no matter how cute they are, they all turn in to eating machines.  We went for two years before we added one small tadpole madtom.  No game fish, that is not what we are trying to teach and they too get to be eating machines.  Try to pick hardy species (we have Nocomis chubs, stonerollers, and yellowfin shiners as our main species as far as numbers of fishes).  Your common shiners are a good start, they would be OK with stonerollers and some other smaller Notropis species (whatever you have up there) or maybe even some dace (I'n thinking you have blacknose up there and they are also a very hardy fish).

I would be happy to help you here or offline (whatever you prefer)  feel free to contact me or ask more questions here.

http://forum.nanfa.o...l= autrey mill

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 ChiefBrody

ChiefBrody
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 30 November 2017 - 11:15 AM

I've got 4 mummichogs. They're a killifish and very hardy. More of an estuary dweller but they can adapt to anything pretty well. I'm in MA if you're interested. I think I have 3 males and one female

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users