Photo

Help sexing and ID a bullhead

4 replies to this topic

#1 AvicLitee

AvicLitee
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 25 June 2017 - 01:09 AM

Sadly this favorite friend crossed under the rainbow bridge after over 12 years. He(?) weighed in at 11.4 oz and just under 11 inches. He had a big tumor on one side which I have no idea if it contributed to his death. Other people on this forum suspected A. melas instead of nebulosa even though his coloring was mottled. I also included a tail shot if it helps with species identification. It was hard to get these shots during life and they may still not be good enough!

I also wonder how old he was already when got him as a small, adorable little thing.

Attached Images

• image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg

#2 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 25 June 2017 - 06:34 AM

I am sorry for the loss of your friend. We can get attached to our wet pets, can't we?

Based on the large caudal rays that are darker than the fin membrane and the rectangular light area at the base of the caudal fin I would guess melas, too.
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#3 lilyea

lilyea
  • NANFA Member
  • Peace River Watershed, Central Florida, USA

Posted 25 June 2017 - 07:58 AM

As Matt said, the light colored vertical bar at the base of the caudal strongly suggests that it is a black bullhead.  The anal fin ray count can also be a key indicator to differentiate between black and brown.

#4 AvicLitee

AvicLitee
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 25 June 2017 - 10:39 AM

Thanks for the kind words. The mottled coloration wouldn't be a good indicator correct? I'm thinking the fish is a male based on other photos I've looked at, but not really sure.

#5 AvicLitee

AvicLitee
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 13 October 2017 - 07:11 PM

Was anyone able to sex this fish after all?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users