Photo

Brackish Sampling 6/25/2017 ID Help Needed

3 replies to this topic

#1 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 27 June 2017 - 05:35 PM

My daughter and I headed across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge to Deal Island in Somerset County, MD in search of blennies again on Sunday.  Our first spot looked promising, a boat ramp, with oysters growing on the rip rap.  I thought for sure we'd find some blennies.  Nope.  We managed one unidentified goby and a zillion silversides and grass shrimp, and enough blue crabs that we could have had a nice meal (although we didn't keep anything).  

Unidentified goby below.  I thought that it was a naked goby (Gobiosoma bosc) at first glance, but after looking on line, it also resembles a seaboard goby (Gobiosoma ginsburgi), and now I've confused myself.  I read that the seaboard prefers deeper saltier water, so I'm thinking that it's a naked goby juvenile.  It's an inch long.  The specific gravity at this spot was 1.014.  What do you all think?  Not great pics, sorry, but it's the best that I have.  Thanks!

IMG_7567_zpsba8mdx2q.jpg

IMG_7566_zpsrmsdqd51.jpg

IMG_7565_zpslvyfbgpm.jpg

IMG_7564_zps5iorlj6i.jpg

We hit several other spots on the island and only managed to catch a few mummichogs among the many silversides.  The goby was the only benthic fish that we caught.  No skilletfish.  No blennies.  This was a 3 hour one way trip that was a total bust.  We had fun, but I think for day trips, I might stick to the Western Shore to cut down the drive time and add more collecting time.

I tried hook and line at the last two spots.  Looking back, I should have tried it at the first spot before we left as it seemed to have the best fish holding cover.

Kevin Wilson

#2 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 27 June 2017 - 05:38 PM

I'll tell you what, it's tough using a dip net around oysters growing on rip rap.  That might have been the problem here.  I had to take short sweeps and target one rock at a time.  The water was gin clear at this spot too, which also didn't help.  We didn't see any benthic fish either prior to our attempts to collect.

Kevin Wilson

#3 fritz

fritz
  • Board of Directors

Posted 28 June 2017 - 12:38 PM

I will agree with Seaboard Goby - dark dashes along the side

#4 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 28 June 2017 - 04:25 PM

Thank you Fritz!