favorite native

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2006 - 10:22 PM

This thread wsa bound to be posted sooner or later so... What native have you enjoyed keeping the most? Mine is the shadow bass, I need to get my hands on another one.

#2 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2006 - 10:01 AM

That is a very difficult question to anwser.
I would have to say above all Longnosed Gar for me but then I'm a bit nutty about them and other gars.
Really though the ones I've enjoyed keeping in display type tanks the most would be a toss up over the Western Banded Killifish and Fantail darter.

#3 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2006 - 03:52 AM

Hard to say, my brown bullhead is not only one of my favorite natives but catfish in general as well. Very active and interactive. I like all the sunfish species I have ever kept and eatch that I keep right now has it's own attribute. The green I have is very personable and a blast to feed, the longear is one of the most beautiful fish I have ever kept, the rock bass is a favorite because I am a big fan of the species, love the color, feeding habits etc.

#4 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2006 - 07:51 AM

Pygmy sunfish. You can keep them anywhere and they just glow with color. These are the fish that got me into natives in the first place.

#5 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2006 - 08:04 AM

Hmm. I would say all Killifish & topminnows and a very,very close second would be all others.

I think I like every single native fish but love the killifish a little bit more.

#6 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2006 - 06:38 PM

Hmm. I would say all Killifish & topminnows and a very,very close second would be all others.

I think I like every single native fish but love the killifish a little bit more.

Do you keep any saltwater killies?

#7 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2006 - 08:23 PM

I really can't narrow it down to one, so here are contenders. In no particular order.
Mottled sculpin
Central mudminnow
Grass pickerel
Bowfin
Fantail darter

#8 Guest_Etheostoma_*

Guest_Etheostoma_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2006 - 12:07 AM

My favorite would probably be Redfin Darters (Etheostoma whipplei) because they seem to keep their (stunning) colors very well in aquaria and are very interesting to watch.

Here is a picture of my current male, which I've had for about three months, still in full color:

Posted Image

#9 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2006 - 01:07 AM

Mine is the shadow bass, I need to get my hands on another one.

Shadow bass rule! I have a good site for them, but they are elusive. Never more than 2 at a time.

#10 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2006 - 01:09 AM

My favorite would probably be Redfin Darters (Etheostoma whipplei) because they seem to keep their (stunning) colors very well in aquaria and are very interesting to watch.

Here is a picture of my current male, which I've had for about three months, still in full color:

Posted Image

whipplei - I get those in my back yard - literally! Still a very nice darter...

#11 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2006 - 07:23 AM

Yes I do. I have a brackish tank just for killifish. I keep it at about 1.010. It's a favorite of mine.

#12 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2006 - 07:34 AM

Yes I do. I have a brackish tank just for killifish. I keep it at about 1.010. It's a favorite of mine.

What species?

#13 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2006 - 07:42 AM

What species?

I currently have striped killifish, mummichog, sheepshead minnow and sailfin molly. If I'm lucky, I might have a few more fish to add in the near future.

#14 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2006 - 09:58 AM

Those are some nice killies to keep. I just found a spot that has diamond killies and tons of sheepheads minnows, now I just need a new tank.

#15 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2006 - 10:24 AM

If you happen to get a few extra Adinia, I have a spot for them.

#16 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2006 - 10:29 AM

If you happen to get a few extra Adinia, I have a spot for them.

You beat me!

I would love to have a couple of them as well.

#17 Guest_tricolor_*

Guest_tricolor_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2006 - 01:05 PM

Posted Image

Wondering that does it accept dried food as said in a few Fishes of XXX book?

BTW my favorite ones are minnows [Cyprinella, Hydrophlox, Pteronotropis and others]

#18 Guest_Etheostoma_*

Guest_Etheostoma_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2006 - 02:49 PM

Wondering that does it accept dried food as said in a few Fishes of XXX book?

BTW my favorite ones are minnows [Cyprinella, Hydrophlox, Pteronotropis and others]

I have never seen them show more than a passing interest in dried foods. Mine live almost entirely on frozen bloodworms, which are pretty cheap anyway. If you are looking for a darter that eats dry food, the closely related orangebelly darter (Etheostoma radiosum) seems to like hikari micro pellets okay. The last one I kept was a large male that would come to the surface and eat them along with his Fundulus tankmates. Even then, I supplemented his diet with frozen and live foods though.

#19 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2006 - 06:23 PM

My favorites Fieryblack Shiners. Orangespot Sunfish, Redline Darters and Diamond Killies to name a few.

Speaking of which I sure could use an adult male Adinia. Had a trio ready to breed but while on vacation the young man that was feeding my fish left the feeding hole uncovered and the male apparently jumped out. Probably while being fed as he went nuts over black worms and wouldn't wait till they dropped off the spoon. So I've got two plump lonely females.

Mike Lucas

#20 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2006 - 06:30 PM

Tricolor,

I've got some Redfin Darters that I caught a year and 3 months ago as 1/2 to 3/4 inchers and while they clearly prefer live blackworms they readily take feeze-dried bloodworms, mysis shrimp and even pieces of krill all freeze-dried.

Mike Lucas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users