Unknown fish - goby?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rc6750

rc6750
  • NANFA Member
  • Tampa Bay, FL

Posted 08 July 2017 - 11:20 AM

This is probably a long shot, but does anybody have any leads on what this fish might be?

Pacific Coast of Costa Rica, Playa Blanca/mouth of the Gulf of Nicoya.

Found this guy in a tide pool, it clings to the side of the pool and when out of the water uses its pectoral fins to launch itself away like a frog. I have been looking at lots of fish, but I have not found what this is yet. 

tumblr_oss5a0bqgS1qjrzplo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_oss5a0bqgS1qjrzplo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_oss5a0bqgS1qjrzplo3_1280.jpg

thanks!

#2 lilyea

lilyea
  • NANFA Member
  • Peace River Watershed, Central Florida, USA

Posted 08 July 2017 - 12:41 PM

Neat catch!  Whatever it is it sounds like there are some great stories around the trip!  Is it possible that it is a Panamic Frillfin (Bathygobius ramosus)?

#3 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 08 July 2017 - 06:57 PM

Hard to see, but it looks like one long continuous dorsal fin; not two separate dorsals like a goby.  Maybe it's one of the "leaping blenny" family?

https://simbio.com/b...-fish-gotta-hop

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#4 zooxanthellae

zooxanthellae
  • NANFA Member
  • North Carolina

Posted 08 July 2017 - 07:33 PM

Labrisomidae? Neat fish! 

#5 rc6750

rc6750
  • NANFA Member
  • Tampa Bay, FL

Posted 08 July 2017 - 08:47 PM

Thanks gerald & zoo; you guys were right!

It is a Foureye Rockskipper (Dialommus macrocephalus) which is a labrisomid blenny.

From Wikipedia:

Dialommus macrocephalus, the Foureye rockskipper, is a species of labrisomid blenny native to the eastern Pacific Ocean from Baja California, Mexico to Colombia. It inhabits the intertidal zone and is capable of leaving the water in search of land-dwelling prey. It feeds on invertebrates including crabs. This species can reach a length of 11 centimetres (4.3 in) TL.[2]

It makes so much more sense now because I actually caught three of these, but the first two bounded away before I could get a picture. They can jump far and are pretty fast. This has to be one of the coolest fish I have caught - I love that the spend some of their time out of water.

lilyea - yeah it was a great trip and I actually caught a Panamic Frillfin as well

tumblr_inline_osq2g1RoL41qi2jyj_500.jpg

#6 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 08 July 2017 - 09:59 PM

Zoox was more righter than me.  I got the suborder (Blennioidei) but he got the correct family (Labrisomidae).  "Leaping blennies" (Alticus) are in the true blenny family, Blenniidae.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#7 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 10 July 2017 - 06:47 AM

Very cool fish.  Nice catch!

Kevin Wilson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users