Photo

New from Washington State

5 replies to this topic

#1 Kehy

Kehy
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 12 July 2017 - 07:36 PM

I'm a 25 year old from Washington state, living out by the Puyallup River. I recently was given a pair of 20 tall tanks, and while I'm going tropical with one, the other I'd like to try something a little more 'exotic'. I don't really know where to start, except that itty bitty sunfish and minnows look pretty, though I've only kept tropicals. I've been keeping planted tanks for 7 years now, and these 20's are the largest tanks I've had. Up until now, my biggest was a 7.5 cube, so microfish are kinda my thing.  

Nice to meet ya'll

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 13 July 2017 - 06:10 AM

Welcome. You are far far away from me, but there are some cool micro aquarium fishes in the SE USA. You being up in the NW, I'm not really sure. But I highly recommend that you at least tart by getting to know your local fishes. Nothing beats a day in a local stream learning and discovering. Glad to have you here.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 13 July 2017 - 06:18 AM

Welcome aboard, Kehy! Good to have more left coasters coming in.

It sounds like you have the basics of aquaria down, despite claiming not to know where to start. (But being humble is a very good thing!) I would check into the legalities of keeping natives in Washington. Check your state's natural resource division. Also, NANFA's treasurer, Tom Watson, is from WA so he's a good place to start mining intel. He's not a forum dweller by nature, but try messaging him. (Look him up in the "members" list) If you don't hear from him in a couple days we can forward your contact info to him. He's really good at email communication.

Like Michael said, get out in that water and have fun. Hold off on keeping anything til you know what will and won't get you in trouble.

BTW- I spent a few months in the Pac NW twentysome years ago. Took me about all that time to learn how to pronounce "Puyallup", "Skagit", "Dosewallops",etc. :)
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#4 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 13 July 2017 - 07:47 AM

"BTW- I spent a few months in the Pac NW twentysome years ago. Took me about all that time to learn how to pronounce "Puyallup", "Skagit", "Dosewallops",etc. :)"

Are those items, towns, people's names?!  Crazy.  I've warned you before about speaking in tongues on this forum, Matt!

Nick L.

#5 Kehy

Kehy
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 15 July 2017 - 02:55 PM

"BTW- I spent a few months in the Pac NW twentysome years ago. Took me about all that time to learn how to pronounce "Puyallup", "Skagit", "Dosewallops",etc. :)"

Are those items, towns, people's names?!  Crazy.  I've warned you before about speaking in tongues on this forum, Matt!

Thanks ya'll, glad to be here

Nice towns those. Sequim, Snoqualmie, Yakima, and Enumclaw are nice too. My grandma lives out by the Muckleshoots, we can hear the shows at the amphitheater from her place, haha.

#6 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 15 July 2017 - 04:35 PM

How could I forget Sequim?! I don't remember being in a town called Dosewallops, but I did do some hiking along the river of that name in Olympic National Park. Fantastic stuff...
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users