satinfin reach

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 FishyJackson

FishyJackson
  • NANFA Member
  • Long Island

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:27 PM

this is a reach, definately reaching here, probably just another Spotfin...but could this be a Satinfin Shiner?  Delaware River

Attached File  20170716_075138_Moment(3).jpg   74.49KB   1 downloads

Attached File  20170716_075138_Moment.jpg   76.16KB   0 downloads

It looks like there is pigment in multiple places on the dorsal to me here

Attached File  20170716_075138_Moment(4).jpg   886.49KB   0 downloads

hard to count but looks like 9 anal fin rays to me

Attached File  20170716_075138_Moment(6).jpg   899.37KB   0 downloads

#2 FishyJackson

FishyJackson
  • NANFA Member
  • Long Island

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:34 PM

also ID'd a few myself, caught a Bluntnose Minnow , which is listed as rare in this Watershed so that was a solid pickup

Attached File  20170716_082344_Moment(3).jpg   83.41KB   0 downloads

So I was the Neversink River,  I was looking all around the rocks for Longnose Dace, Darters, Sculpins, etc...could not catch the large Shield Darter I saw, but caught what I kept thinking would be Longnose Dace hiding around the stones/rocks...but they were all Cutlip Minnows.  It seemed like a total Longnose Dace habitat but it appears Cutlips also hide around the rocks and own this area

Attached File  20170716_092829_Moment.jpg   92.36KB   0 downloads

#3 FishyJackson

FishyJackson
  • NANFA Member
  • Long Island

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:41 PM

Lastly, this is pretty ridiculous, but this is has to be a record shattering catch...for smallest first Smallmouth Bass ever caught. It's extremely unlikely anyone in history has caught a Smallmouth so small for their first Smallmouth catch.  Every time I go out there I put in some time for Smallmouth, I've used multiple topwater lures and now Senko worms which people seem to crush them with out there...all I do is lose rigs and catch nothing.  It's pretty pathetic.  Then I accidentally caught this microfishing

Attached File  20170716_102958_Moment (2).jpg   2.16MB   0 downloads

There were hundreds of small 1 to 2 inch long slim fish eating algae off the rocks.  I could not get them to bite, then Idropped down to what I thought was one of them and caught that Smallmouth.  I can't imagine baby Smallmouth nibble algae off rocks so it must have not been one of those fish.  Do Darters or baby Suckers nibble algae off rocks?  I can't figure out what those fish were, looked like darters but didn't behave like I would expect, and they ignored tiny worm offering.  Next time I guess I need a net to see what those are

#4 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 18 July 2017 - 07:11 AM

They were likely hunting and eating the micro/macro-fauna living in the algae.

Nick L.

#5 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 18 July 2017 - 11:51 AM

Freshwater Fishes of Virginia mentions satinfin having more pigment in the anterior dorsal membranes than spotfin does (pg 362), so yeah it could be satinfin, but my confidence is low.  I don't think you'll get a sure-fire ID based on those pics.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#6 FishyJackson

FishyJackson
  • NANFA Member
  • Long Island

Posted 18 July 2017 - 12:25 PM

ok thanks, figured it was a reach, but worth a shot at least.  It sounds like Spotfins are displacing Satinfins in the Delaware so they might be quite rare there   

#7 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 18 July 2017 - 05:06 PM

Cyprinellas can hybridize when introduced into other species' ranges.  C. lutrensis is the most notorious for doing that (probably because it's been spread around more than any other Cyprinella as bait and/or aquarium fish).

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users