FishMap.org open for submissions

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 rc6750

rc6750
  • NANFA Member
  • Tampa Bay, FL

Posted 31 July 2017 - 11:41 AM

I have pushed the code live that allows users to submit collection data for back end verification. So far I have Brian Z., Dustin, Matt K., Ben C. and Gerald as verification experts. Please report any and all issues you guys come across.

thanks!

#2 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 01 August 2017 - 06:11 AM

So excited forthis. Thanks for all the time and effort put into this, Ryan.
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#3 olaf

olaf
  • NANFA Member

Posted 02 August 2017 - 09:30 AM

This is an amazing development. I just added one recent fish for the fun of it and to see how hard it would be. Insanely simple and user friendly. I hope everyone will take advantage of this.

Redhorse ID downloads and more: http://moxostoma.com

#4 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 04 August 2017 - 11:26 AM

Awesome, looks good! Thanks Ryan (and others involved)!

#5 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 06 August 2017 - 05:43 PM

Hey Ryan, just a quick question about the entry form.  When I go out, I tend to keep a list of everything we caught at a particular site.  We often have a dozen or so species from any specific location.  How do I enter those?  Do I have to do it one at a time?  Or can I enter multiple species on the first line and then fill in the location information?  Maybe a silly question, but thought I would ask before I jumped in a made a crazy entry.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#6 rc6750

rc6750
  • NANFA Member
  • Tampa Bay, FL

Posted 06 August 2017 - 06:49 PM

Hey Ryan, just a quick question about the entry form.  When I go out, I tend to keep a list of everything we caught at a particular site.  We often have a dozen or so species from any specific location.  How do I enter those?  Do I have to do it one at a time?  Or can I enter multiple species on the first line and then fill in the location information?  Maybe a silly question, but thought I would ask before I jumped in a made a crazy entry.

Hey Michael - good question - currently you can only enter one at a time - I am sure I can modify the form to select multiple species for one location - I will put it on my development task list. For now you can only enter one species at a time.

#7 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 09 August 2017 - 06:50 PM

Think that is a good question, but often that list has all of the usual suspects, and just a surprise or two. The surprises are the particularly important ones right?

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#8 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:21 PM

No. We are not trying to do a rare fish index. Fish communities are interesting what mix can indicate habitat quality. I like know who is who's neighbor.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#9 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:46 PM

Just assumed that if I go to spot that is very near or on top of another fishmap site that I might not mess with entering everything that has been found there before. Rather I would submit the ones missing. But you are right. This can go beyond a fishmap, also show trends to those whom might want to delve into it. Can be an even better scientific tool.

#10 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:29 PM

Oh I see what your saying too now. I was just assuming that I might be adding data for new locations cause there might not be so many in Georgia.

#11 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 07 September 2017 - 02:00 PM

I just tried this a 3 times, but each time I got this error after clicking submit (and I had made sure to click the robot checkbox): "Your record has NOT been submitted for review because you did not pass the robot test". It's also annoying that all the data I had entered was lost each time.

#12 rc6750

rc6750
  • NANFA Member
  • Tampa Bay, FL

Posted 07 September 2017 - 02:15 PM

I just tried this a 3 times, but each time I got this error after clicking submit (and I had made sure to click the robot checkbox): "Your record has NOT been submitted for review because you did not pass the robot test". It's also annoying that all the data I had entered was lost each time.

Sorry about that - I don't know why it would be failing that check. Let me do some digging. I will also look at adding some code that maintains the data should a submit fail so you won't have to re-type it.

Side note: It is looking like I may have to evacuate here if Irma doesn't stop its westward nonsense - so could be awhile before I dig into it.

#13 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 07 September 2017 - 02:42 PM

Thanks Ryan. No rush - just sending feedback because I think what you have done is awesome, and I want it work well. Stay safe!

#14 TimothyHD

TimothyHD
  • NANFA Guest
  • Menomonee Falls, WI

Posted 10 September 2017 - 07:18 AM

I had the same problem yesterday.  I only tried once and thought I'd done something in the wrong order.  But I was sure I'd clicked the box.

#15 rc6750

rc6750
  • NANFA Member
  • Tampa Bay, FL

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:25 AM

I had the same problem yesterday.  I only tried once and thought I'd done something in the wrong order.  But I was sure I'd clicked the box.

Sorry for the delay guys, hurricane has kept me busy. All is well.

Bug identified, fixed, and tested. You should not have issues now

#16 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:44 PM

Thanks Ryan. I'm glad you're OK.

My first try, I got this error: "This page is not available You have found an error on our web site. The bug has been emailed to us, and we will fix it as soon as we can.". But I think that was caused by me entering something like "around 5-6" into the "Number Collected" box. When I tried it again, I just entered a single number, and it seemed to go through. I know I'm not alone in often not knowing the exact number of fish I observed or sampled, so I think this will be an issue that others encounter as well. I think you could either provide guidance as to what kind of entry is acceptable (i.e. "single number only") or change it to accept words/phrases in addition to numbers.

Are you OK with people adding records that did not involve "collection"?. I'm kind of assuming you are, but due to the wording, I'm not totally sure. This might be something that other potential users wonder about as well.

Also, the "NANFA Username" box has me a little confused. Are you referring to the NANFA forum username? Or NANFA member name? Are only submissions from NANFA forum users or NANFA members accepted? If not, perhaps just "Name" would be more appropriate?

#17 rc6750

rc6750
  • NANFA Member
  • Tampa Bay, FL

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:13 AM

Thanks Ryan. I'm glad you're OK.

My first try, I got this error: "This page is not available You have found an error on our web site. The bug has been emailed to us, and we will fix it as soon as we can.". But I think that was caused by me entering something like "around 5-6" into the "Number Collected" box. When I tried it again, I just entered a single number, and it seemed to go through. I know I'm not alone in often not knowing the exact number of fish I observed or sampled, so I think this will be an issue that others encounter as well. I think you could either provide guidance as to what kind of entry is acceptable (i.e. "single number only") or change it to accept words/phrases in addition to numbers.

Are you OK with people adding records that did not involve "collection"?. I'm kind of assuming you are, but due to the wording, I'm not totally sure. This might be something that other potential users wonder about as well.

Also, the "NANFA Username" box has me a little confused. Are you referring to the NANFA forum username? Or NANFA member name? Are only submissions from NANFA forum users or NANFA members accepted? If not, perhaps just "Name" would be more appropriate?

Good call - yes I have that as a number now, I will work on changing that to a string and allowing anything in. Will update here when it is ready.

I am perfectly OK with records that you don't physically collect - your underwater pictures are better for identification in some instances than ones out of water.

I mean your forum username - one day they systems will be tied together, but not yet. Just trying to stay ahead of the game.

This part is open for discussion I guess - currently anybody can input data - my thought was to at least limit to people with forum logins (not necessarily members) but I don't know.

#18 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:06 AM

Awesome, thanks Ryan!

#19 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:21 PM

I am perfectly OK with records that you don't physically collect - your underwater pictures are better for identification in some instances than ones out of water.

Definetily. I also agree. looking at at photo of a fish in someone else's hands is very different than in my own hands. To me, only an occasional snorkeler, I also feel that ID'ing fish under water is a rarely recognized skill. Perhaps the sampling technique be noted. Snorkeling, net, angling, microfishing, trap(maybe), and other.

I kind of like linking it to a forum user name is. Submitting records may interest some knowledgeable people enough to join the forum and liven it up in this time when it is difficult to compete with the ease of Facebook.

This is such a worthwhile project. Thank you Ryan. I cannot even list the number of benefits to the academic/scientific world, to Nanfa,and to the guy/gal just wanting to know where they have a chance of encountering a spiecies of their interest.

#20 rc6750

rc6750
  • NANFA Member
  • Tampa Bay, FL

Posted 18 September 2017 - 01:21 PM

Awesome, thanks Ryan!

UPDATE: you can now enter strings as number collected/observed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users