Photo

Post CFI FishFest 2017

3 replies to this topic

#1 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 31 July 2017 - 12:12 PM

CFI Fish Festival 2017, the afterwards...

I didn't take any pictures at the festival but it was a beautiful day to relax, sit in the shade and share fishy stories.  Recent rains had clouded the water along the island so i never got wet, the closest being was observing some seining from shore and looking at the fresh caught specimens in the tank set up in the shaded pavilion.  The only NANFans attending was the CFI gang and my ex-Snorkel Boss.  Lots of folks enjoying the river and sun though.  Music in the late afternoon and BBQ provided by some fellows in a big truck smokin' on site.

However the next day i headed upriver to a favorite spot where the visibility was about 4 to 6 feet.  Oddly though the water had an weird reddish glare to it, not very good for photos or observing unless you knew how, where and what to look for.  Only close observance would yield the orange on the Tangerine's bellies.  It was a comfortable 72, but just last week the Conasauga's was 82!  Tepid bath water for us humans but a bit harsh for the native fishes there.  I started seeing white fungus on fish wounds, likely a sign of mortality.
I could still clearly see this season's Chub mounds though they were flattened wide.  They were fairly silt free in the runs but on the other side of the river in the poolish areas about 1/2" of silt had settled upon the stones.  I never like to see silt, it's always a sign of disturbance upstream somewhere.  A vigorous sweeping would bring the nest rocks to life and fish would race forward hoping to catch any edibles now exposed.

After enjoying a nice picnic table lunch we tossed bread balls from the bridge.  I should have taken a picture of that activity as it made for an interesting effect on the water's surface. When the dough ball would hit the water about a 100 fish of various species would zoom in from all directions making a starburst effect, that combined with the circular radiating pattern of the dropped dough ball and feeding activity made a striking image.

10-Star.JPG

Star Bridge on a pleasant sunny end of July day.

11-Substrate.JPG

The cleaned Chub mound stones but with that odd, reddish glare in the water column.

12-4.JPG

A quad of the species typically encountered in the Little River; River Chub, Warpaint, Whitetail and a blurred Snubby.

13-Greenside.JPG

Mr. Greenside, several were resting on the flattened mounds along the edge of the Water Willow runs.

14-Tangerine.JPG

One of about 8 Tangerines working above and below the runs.  With a bit of patience they will come very close to you, almost friendly.  Put your feets upstream into the head of the shallow runs and face downstream and there they will be.

15-Blotch1.JPG

After lunch i went back to look for Blotchsides, as they were oddly not seen during the first snorkel session.  I was greeted by a trio working with a pair of Riffle type Minnows.  They picked and fed in this grouping for the 20 or so minutes i observed them.

16-Blotch.JPG

Feeding together.

17-Blotch&Bass.JPG

A smallmouth Bass started following one of the Blotchies hoping to catch something exposed by his flipping stones.  Every once in awhile the grouping they would quickly flee, this sight soon followed by a big Bass cruising in from behind.  It is a nervous life to live as a fish.

18-Fisher.JPG

This TG4 can do a good job at times.  Here is a detailed shot of a big fisher using the mini LED spotlight.

19-Fisher.JPG

Edited by Casper, 31 July 2017 - 12:16 PM.

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#2 fundulus

fundulus
  • Global Moderator

Posted 01 August 2017 - 09:43 AM

The red glare you saw might be the result of elevated chlorophyll levels present in whatever pelagic algae were there. Chlorophyll can fluoresce in direct sunlight which is visible as a reddish glow; you're seeing photons emerge from the chlorophyll at a lower energy level, red to our eyes.

Bruce Stallsmith, Huntsville, Alabama, US of A

#3 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 01 August 2017 - 01:16 PM

My photos show it and my eyes detected it.  I have never consciously noticed this issue before and quite uncertain if there was a cause or were my eyes off or were the sun rays at an angle.  It was weird.  Recent heavy rains had occurred and this day was the first the clarity was acceptable for snorkeling.  Thanks Bruce.  I'm use to seeing green and brown water but none with that reddish glare.

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#4 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 18 August 2017 - 07:40 AM

Nice report and pics Casper.  The blotchsides are interesting!  The spider pic kinda freaks me out ;), but I like it.

Kevin Wilson

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users