NANFA CON18

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#21 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 30 August 2017 - 09:07 PM

If the star is correctly positioned, the conference site appears to be in a place called "Young Harris, GA".

On Google Earth I see an "upscale spa & golf resort", a few restaurants and a bunch of churches.

What has Michael got in store for us ???

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#22 sbtgrfan

sbtgrfan
  • NANFA Member
  • Charleston, SC

Posted 31 August 2017 - 06:02 AM

You're right, I thought Helen at first, but it's more north than that....should be interesting!

Stephen Beaman
Freshwater Aquarist
South Carolina Aquarium
Charleston, SC

#23 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 04 September 2017 - 04:25 PM

...upscale spa & golf resort.

Sounds ideal.

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#24 Doug_Dame

Doug_Dame
  • NANFA Member

Posted 04 September 2017 - 08:04 PM

Hero Green's map may not be entirely drawn to scale. (Birds! What can you do!?! It's amazing they can draw at all.)

The Spot-Marks-The-X aligns very clearly with the very distinct bump-in on the north-east side of GA. There is no equivalent easy to identify places on the northern border. Hence I'll speculate that the north-south positioning of the spot is pretty accurate, and the east-west positioning is less so. If that's the case, the two nearest pieces of civilization are Helen (very well known) and Suches (ahh ...not so much.) 

The nearest likely place for a NANFA-Con I see is probably Unicoi State Park and Lodge. So that's my guess. Is there a prize?

Lots of waterfalls in the area. Very scenic. Also lots of protected trout waters.

Years ago there was a classic Forum posting/series about a multi-day excursion to north Georgia by a Gathering of Nanfans. I couldn't find it with a quick search using our website's tool, but Google knows where it is. Still a good read: NANFA Trip to Tallulah Gorge, July 2002

And finally: Calling Mr. Steven A. Ellis, calling Mr. Steven A. Ellis. Please see the concierge about your reservation.

Doug Dame

Floridian now back in Florida

#25 keepnatives

keepnatives
  • Regional Rep

Posted 05 September 2017 - 06:14 PM

Unicoi was my first guess but I also think Vogel State Park may be a possibility. But by the last map Brasstown Valley Resort and Spa is looking good.

Mike Lucas
Mohawk-Hudson Watershed
Schenectady NY

#26 Doug_Dame

Doug_Dame
  • NANFA Member

Posted 06 September 2017 - 12:31 AM

I'm willing to go to any of them !

Doug Dame

#27 fritz

fritz
  • Board of Directors

Posted 06 September 2017 - 05:20 PM

Wow!  That trip was 15 years ago?  Seems like only yesterday, sort of

#28 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:00 PM

I'm glad Doug tracked that pre forum Tallulah article down. It was fun reading and remembering that adventure. I miss Steven. He was an excellent active NANFan and we shared many fine adventures. He was along on my first scouting / logistics trip to Tates Hell and the FSU Marine Lab.  He organized many GA trips and wrote eloquently of the adventures.  The last time i spoke with him was in Florida where i suspect he still lives after moving from the Peach State.

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#29 OneFish

OneFish
  • Board of Directors

Posted 06 September 2017 - 07:42 PM

North Port Florida

#30 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 08 October 2017 - 05:50 PM

The 2018 NANFA Convention is being co-hosted by Dr. Johnathon Davis and Michael Wolfe on the campus of Young Harris College on June 7-10.  Young Harris College is a private, liberal arts institution in the beautiful mountains of Northeast Georgia. The campus is located just two hours from Atlanta, Asheville, Chattanooga and Greenville.

A registration page will be established by the end of December that will allow you to sign up and pay online.

Young Harris will not only be the venue for the 2018 NANFA Convention but will also provide us with our lodging and other accommodations.  We will all be able to spend time together and will have pretty much everything we need right there on campus.  We will have more details on rooms and expenses soon, but in general everyone will have their own bedroom and share common space with others.

This location will give us access to 6 major watersheds with a 2 hour drive (Tennessee, Coosa, Chattahoochee, Ocmulgee, Oconee, and Savannah) so there will be lots to see whether you are coming to Georgia with your seine or snorkel.

I am still working out details of what license will be required, but you can get 1 day non-resident fishing license and can extend them additional days.  I would recommend that you wait until we have a more clear idea of what will be required before purchasing anything yet.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#31 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 09 October 2017 - 04:47 PM

I seem to remember a couple AC articles that originated out that way. Stoked!!!
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#32 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator

Posted 10 October 2017 - 04:16 PM

"Tennessee, Coosa, Chattahoochee, Ocmulgee, Oconee, and Savannah"  ... wow, that's some serious diversity -- can't wait !

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#33 Doug_Dame

Doug_Dame
  • NANFA Member

Posted 10 October 2017 - 08:50 PM

I'm excited. 

Doug Dame

#34 itsme

itsme
  • NANFA Member

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:58 AM

The 2018 NANFA Convention is being co-hosted by Dr. Johnathon Davis and Michael Wolfe on the campus of Young Harris College on June 7-10.  Young Harris College is a private, liberal arts institution in the beautiful mountains of Northeast Georgia. The campus is located just two hours from Atlanta, Asheville, Chattanooga and Greenville.

A registration page will be established by the end of December that will allow you to sign up and pay online.

Young Harris will not only be the venue for the 2018 NANFA Convention but will also provide us with our lodging and other accommodations.  We will all be able to spend time together and will have pretty much everything we need right there on campus.  We will have more details on rooms and expenses soon, but in general everyone will have their own bedroom and share common space with others.

This location will give us access to 6 major watersheds with a 2 hour drive (Tennessee, Coosa, Chattahoochee, Ocmulgee, Oconee, and Savannah) so there will be lots to see whether you are coming to Georgia with your seine or snorkel.

I am still working out details of what license will be required, but you can get 1 day non-resident fishing license and can extend them additional days.  I would recommend that you wait until we have a more clear idea of what will be required before purchasing anything yet.

Awesome plan, Michael and Jonathan!  Thanks for making it happen!!!

#35 fritz

fritz
  • Board of Directors

Posted 22 October 2017 - 09:14 AM

Look at the map closer. GA is the largest state east of the Mississippi.

The Okefenokee is a great trip. We have done it before and might again, but not in June!

Appearances are deceiving.  In terms of square miles, Michigan and Florida are bigger   :-)

#36 FirstChAoS

FirstChAoS
  • Regional Rep

Posted 22 October 2017 - 08:10 PM

Multiple watersheds means diverse fish populations.

... South of the Wisconsonian terminal moraine.

Sort of like saying "The Appalachians have great fish diversity"...

... South of the Wisconsonian terminal moraine.

Edited by FirstChAoS, 22 October 2017 - 08:11 PM.

#37 don212

don212
  • NANFA Member

Posted 25 October 2017 - 07:15 AM

Georgia is on my mind

#38 Irate Mormon

Irate Mormon
  • NANFA Member
  • Crooked Creek, Mississippi

Posted 11 December 2017 - 11:32 PM

What's the camping situation at YH, Michael?  Will I have to go offsite?

-The member currently known as Irate Mormon

#39 Irate Mormon

Irate Mormon
  • NANFA Member
  • Crooked Creek, Mississippi

Posted 11 December 2017 - 11:56 PM

I'm pretty sure I've camped at Vogel State park.  Due to "circumstances" I was forced to relocate to Cloudland Canyon, which IMO is better.  Still, VSP looks like a viable option.  There is also dispersed camping on USFS land. 

-The member currently known as Irate Mormon

#40 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator

Posted 12 December 2017 - 09:38 AM

Maybe you can hide among the kids camping out to buy game tickets, if you don't hang nets and waders across the tent roof.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users