Photo

Possible Cause of For Dead Head Syndrome in Big Bertha's

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 18 August 2017 - 10:20 AM

When I we rear bluegill we can get growth rates that do not occur in nature, especially once the fish get above 6".  A problem we have with exceptionally large females we call Big Berthas is many, if not most are "dead heads" .  Dead heads have little or no interest in the courting dudes but we have had some spawn when injected with hCG.  Maybe problem is related to what is indicated below.  The male Bluegill do a song and dance routine that may be more important than we think.

https://www.scienced...70816181302.htm

Find ways for people not already interested in natives to value them.

#2 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 19 August 2017 - 06:05 AM

Sounds like it very well could be. (No pun intended...) The caption bolded in the middle of the article confused me; it said up to half of farmed salmon were partially deaf, but later the article states 95% are half deaf. Am I confused, or was it a sloppy caption?

I did not know Bluegill used sound in courting. Displays, for sure; sound, no. May be time to put some mics and speakers in the breeding areas and crank the volume! :P
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#3 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 19 August 2017 - 07:02 AM

They make "clicks" and "grunts".  Their dorsal spines twitch a little when making them.  Sounds not loud like Redspotted Sunfish if you have ever heard them.  

Find ways for people not already interested in natives to value them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users