Photo

ID my brackish fish by description of behavior?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 brackishdude

brackishdude
  • NANFA Member

Posted 23 August 2017 - 01:46 PM

My boys and I have been collecting for our 180 gal brackish native tank, with several trips along the Louisiana gulf coast, lake Pontchartrain, and FW LSU lakes over the last year or so

current stock

least killies

marsh killies

striped killies

rainwater killies

sailfin mollies

mosquito fish

baby (white?) mullets

sheepshead minnows

hermit crab

inland silversides

jade gobies

code goby

grass shrimp

While collecting this wkend in the Rigoles (BW, have caught full gamut of FW to marine fish here), I caught what I though was a small shad or silverside, but it is not. 

It is about 1" long and has a very distinctive look, very narrow when viewed from above or front (it's "flat"), so it has little in the way of mass.   It is not torpedo shaped, though longer than tall. It is silver with a bit of a metallic green look from the right angle.

It swims around unconventionally, with it's tail often hooked into a "J" to the left or right , and swimming with its head lower than tail, and turned sort of sideways as it moves by fluttering its tail/fins, giving the appearance of gliding/floating, rather than swimming.

It is a first class jerk, approaching other fish from above and nipping them on top, between the eyes.  The largest fish with it in my quarantine tank is one of the jade gobies, 3" long and fat.  Even he has been cowed.

Love this site.  Pics eventually.

Thanks

BD

As your fellow, I can demand of you no more, and accept no less, than I allow to be demanded of myself

#2 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 23 August 2017 - 01:58 PM

Is it a stickleback?

Kevin Wilson

#3 brackishdude

brackishdude
  • NANFA Member

Posted 23 August 2017 - 02:11 PM

I've never seen one before, but it doesn't match pics I've seen, except for this one I found at mooseknucklefishing.com, which actually looks pretty close, if MUCH bigger.  The tail and overall shape match.

Anyone know the name of this one?

Attached Files

As your fellow, I can demand of you no more, and accept no less, than I allow to be demanded of myself

#4 brackishdude

brackishdude
  • NANFA Member

Posted 23 August 2017 - 02:21 PM

does the behavior match that expected of sticklebacks?  Or characteristic of any other fish?  Maybe mine just had a rough early childhood. . .

#5 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 23 August 2017 - 03:05 PM

They swim by fluttering fins similar to filefish, pipefish, puffers, etc. and use the tail as a rudder except for really fast escape bursts.  And, they do like to swim head down sometimes or sideways.  And, they're notorious for picking on other fish.  And, at times, they can be silvery with a greenish hue, like the three-spined sticklebacks in this picture:

https://www.vetmedun...him_Frommen.jpg

I have yet to keep any in a tank, but I have a tank set up for them.  I tried to collect some last weekend, but struck out.  I have a good spot for my next trip, but won't be for a couple weeks.  If I get some, I'll shoot some video.

Off the top of my head, I haven't a clue on the fish in your pic above.

Kevin Wilson

#6 Dustin

Dustin
  • Forum Staff

Posted 23 August 2017 - 03:36 PM

I don't think there are any stickleback in that area.

Dustin Smith
At the convergence of the Broad, Saluda and Congaree
Lexington, SC

#7 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 23 August 2017 - 03:58 PM

Ah yeah, you are correct, my bad.

Kevin Wilson

#8 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 23 August 2017 - 04:06 PM

brackishdude, did you check this website?  My guess is that you did.  If not, it has some good info and is easy to search.

http://txmarspecies....names table.cfm

I should have checked there first before shooting my keyboard off about sticklebacks, LOL.

Kevin Wilson

#9 brackishdude

brackishdude
  • NANFA Member

Posted 23 August 2017 - 04:23 PM

Thanks, Kevin

I'll look through those and see if there are any candidates, and try to get some pics posted.  Photobucket has recently changed their free-links policy, and I'm shopping for a new site.

#10 brackishdude

brackishdude
  • NANFA Member

Posted 23 August 2017 - 04:30 PM

unlikely, but looks like a baby amberjack or bluefish.

#11 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 24 August 2017 - 07:06 AM

Photobucket has recently changed their free-links policy, and I'm shopping for a new site.

They made me pay for their service because my blog caused too much band width usage, and they shut down my links.  Now they want me to pay 10x the amount that I pay now.  No way I will do that.  I wonder how many millions of bloggers are out there that pay $30 per year that they will lose.  In my head, doing the math, I don't see how they can afford it.  Some other service will fill the void and the commercial users will flock to them because it is either free or a lot cheaper.  I'm in the process of downloading all of my photos from them and will use a different service as well.  They won't get another penny from me next year.

Anyway, I digress, sorry.  Yeah, the Texas website comes in handy, but, it has some gaps, I'm sure.  Team it with Fishbase, and it's a nice way to narrow things down.  Nothing beats the expertise on this board though!

Kevin Wilson

#12 UncleWillie

UncleWillie
  • NANFA Member
  • Georgia

Posted 24 August 2017 - 08:37 AM

The fish in your photo is a leatherjack (Oligoplites saurus).

Willie P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users