Photo

TN River Rescue 2017

13 replies to this topic

#1 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:41 PM

For the last several years i have been involved with the cleanup of the Tennessee River and its various tribs.  This year is the 29th overall for this organization's efforts, first created by earth and water lovers in that other century.  I first met the group as i was making signs and banners for them.

There are about 25 sites to pick from and though three are on South Chickamauga Creek near my home, last year i worked the other side of the Tennessee River on North Chickamauga Creek.

The cleanup will occur on Saturday, October the 7th and run from 9 am til 1 pm.  Only 4 hours to get covered in muck and mud.  But we can do as we wish, maybe best to return Sunday for clearer water weather permitting.

Last year on the following day l i snorkeled the fairly clear water and found lots of partially buried trash, bottles and relics.  It would be fun to have a snorkel team slowly working our way upstream and putting the trash in mesh bags we are dragging behind us.

Are there any willing Snorkeling Trash Mongers amongst us?

I will treat everyone to a BBQ dinner and a place to stay overnight Saturday.  It should be a good bit of fun.

14-TRR-NCC-Casper.JPG

18-TRR-NCC-CryBabyFish.JPG

19-TeaTime.JPG

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#2 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 25 September 2017 - 11:59 AM

I spent about 4 hours snorkeling upstream of the site Saturday.  A stunning encounter with a great dinosaur.  The water was clear and still cool comfortable in these 80 degree days.  I bareskinned it at 2 sites and yes there is still a lot of trash.

20-Cans.JPG

Plenty to collect.  Old and new, some relics too.

20-Greenside.JPG

Found hiding under a flat stone at a spring fissure.

20-LogPair.JPG

Lots of diversity and Loggies were common working the clean cobble.

20-HorseShoe.JPG

2 modes of transportation represented.

20-Snapper1.JPG

The Beast!

2 weeks away. I have extended plans in the works for the volunteers.  Trading BBQ for Crawfish Etouffee and Gumbo.

Casper

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#3 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 26 September 2017 - 04:07 PM

Fish drink a lot of soda and beer for creatures that live in water. Have no idea what they were using the tire and horseshoe for. Seahorses, maybe?
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#4 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow

Posted 29 September 2017 - 10:28 AM

1 week away.

Forecast is in the 80's every day and very little chance of rain.

Thus ideal conditions for a clear water snorkeling clean up of the beautiful, winding North Chickamauga Creek.

Making it even better.

Picked up a big sack of mesh bags today.

Let's fill them up.

Casper Cox

#5 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 29 September 2017 - 12:10 PM

Are they/you still producing annual shirts for the event?  I remember a particularly awesome one containing a certain darter species that you designed a handful of years back.... :D

Nick L.

#6 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow

Posted 29 September 2017 - 02:17 PM

TRR-2012-Redline.jpg

Not sure yet what this year's design is.  Every volunteer will get one.  Last year i did a Longear Sunfish but they said it had too many colors!

Casper Cox

#7 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 29 September 2017 - 06:43 PM

I still rock that shirt! Great design hombre!
Nick L.

#8 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow

Posted 02 October 2017 - 10:20 AM

I took a quick dip Sunday at another mill site on North Chickamauga Creek.  The water was nice, about 6 to 10' clear and pretty with plants and sandy cobbled runs populated with 3 species of Darters.  But i could only last an hour before the shivering overtook me.  I should have worn my wetsuit but the week before i had been comfortable.  I suspect the cooler nights are bringing the water temp down.  Fall is on its way.

10-Snub.JPG

Lots of Snubs, gaining a bit of color after the warm months of Summer.  Male Snubs always have a bit of red, blue and green.  They like slower water, flowing pools.

10-Blueside.JPG

Amongst them were several large Speckleds, now referred to as Bluesides.  They blend in perfectly with their preferred habitat, sandy areas.

I turned a plank over and found a seemingly out of place Redline.  They prefer swifter runs in my experience.  Later i saw a probable Banded among the prolific plants.

10-Loggies.JPG

I counted 7 in this cluster of resting Logperch.  They were perhaps the most common Darter observed at this site, probably 200 yards i worked before the cold overcame me.

20-Plants.JPG

Lots of Millfoil / Coontail.  Most of the plant's lengths were covered in fine silt but the tips were lush green.  The vertical leafy plant i believe is Pond Weed.  It makes pointy football shaped leaflets that float flat on the surface.  I also found a cluster of Egeria Densa, Brazilian Pond Weed.  Water mosses and thin leafed Val too.  It was nice to see lush growths of plants and the clean cobble.

10-Shad.JPG

A nice surprise was a trio of Yellow Perch, a big Shad and Redeared Shellcracker all seen in this soft photo along with a tire of which there are plenty to remove from this dumping site.  It sure is easier to roll them in a creek than pull them sand mired out and up a steep bank.  I have a plan though.

Also observed were lots of River Chubs, just downstream i have found the biggest Chub mound ever.  Warpaints.  Other Sunfish and Bass.  This is a multi specie site when the water flows clear enough to see.

20-Rock.JPG

Unique rock formation with a scoured opening.

Though there is a lot of trash here we will focus on another site more accessible and in the public view.  The weather looks good, no rain and 80 temps this week.  But i will be wearing a wetsuit for sure.

Edited by Casper, 02 October 2017 - 10:30 AM.

Casper Cox

#9 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow

Posted 05 October 2017 - 10:06 AM

Yesterday i returned to the site wearing my 5 mil wetsuit.  Much more comfort!  I lasted 4 hours from 11 to 3, the same time we plan to be in the water Saturday.  Good sunlight overhead, blue skies.  I ended up collecting trash and piling it up in advance so the plan is to gather up more upstream and load the piles at the end of the session.

Lots of fish seen.  At one point i counted upwards of 40 Logperch in a long, steep cobbled run.  They were all giving me the eye.  An unusual congregation but this area is certainly a favored Logperch habitat though there are vegetated silt mounds to the left and right.

Yellow Perch, Blueside Darters, Snubs were also common sights but instead of fish watching i became somewhat obsessed with finding and piling trash and relics.  Lots of Pepsi bottles and old glass jars that i have not seen in years since plastics became the standard.  I though Chattanooga was Coca-Cola and Double Cola waters.  

Perfect weather predicted, visibility at about 10' with the current drought conditions, but the water is cooling down with the fine sleeping open window nights.

Great day expected and to be finished with Gumbo or Crayfish Etouffee shared with the FWI guys.

20-Leaves.JPG

Like stained glass as the leaves fall.

20-Trash.JPG

One of the trash piles.

20-Cray.JPG

Found hiding, freshly molted.

20-Loggies.JPG

A nice group of Loggies that came to investigate my trash pilings.

20-TrashRays.JPG

The pile awaits.

Tennessee River Rescue!

Casper Cox

#10 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow

Posted 08 October 2017 - 12:13 PM

20-TrashSigns.JPG

Casper Cox

#11 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Board of Directors
  • Ohio

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:03 PM

Nice job and nice photos.Great to see clean up's like these.

On a side note. Learned something new reading through the last couple posts. Casper is in fact a mortal. It had always seemed that he was impervious to cold water, but I believe I read the word "shivering". Really though, some of you avid snorkelers are simply not wimps or develop an ability to tolerate what seems intolerable. What you all go through to get these underwater photos makes them that much more impressive. 

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#12 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow

Posted 13 October 2017 - 10:32 AM

Jeremy sent me a few pictures...

FWI-LittleTykes.jpg

Little Tykes hung in the jam.  I had seen it for 2 or 3 years.  I figured a chainsaw was needed but Dave pulled it free.  Full of fishy muck and still had the keys.  Bryce was hoping to drive it to the dumpster site but it would not crank.

FWI-CasperBottles.jpg

Lots of old relic bottles.  Purex Bleach use to come in these brown glass bottles before plastics were in use.  I wish i had saved a few but sorting through glass shards was not a reasonable option once bagged.

FWI-Pile.jpg

This was the pile Bryce and i gathered, 2 men, a few hours.  The tires are still in the creek but more muscle needed than i can muster.

12-TeamGumbo.JPG

Afterwards we had a fine Cajun dinner courtesy of Dave's recent find of a gallon jar of Tellico River Coinage.

Casper Cox

#13 Irate Mormon

Irate Mormon
  • NANFA Member
  • Crooked Creek, Mississippi

Posted 14 October 2017 - 11:07 AM

Figures food would be involved.

-Martin

Neither Mormon, nor particularly Irate. 

Turning money into noise!

#14 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member