Photo

TN River Rescue 2017

32 replies to this topic

#21 DanielFolds

DanielFolds
  • NANFA Guest
  • Georgia, Chattahoochee Drainage

Posted 29 August 2018 - 11:24 PM

The striped abdomen should separate Chickamauga Crayfish (Cambarus extraneus) from any other species in that watershed and a crayfish with long twisted pincers fits the description of Surgeon Crayfish (Faxonius forceps) so I'm guessing that's the one you're talking about. I haven't found that one yet and I long for the day lol.

I don't have any snorkeling gear but would be interested in coming to help if there's anything I can do

#22 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 14 September 2018 - 06:25 PM

TRR-2018-Shirt.jpg

Tennessee River Rescue   2018   October 6   30th Year

I did a pre-scout today spending 3 hours in the water bare skin.  I eventually got cold and figured the water was in the upper 60's.  Visibility was reasonable at about 6', at times more with the light streaming in nicely.  I gathered trash and piled it into the many submerged tires and found a big green mesh bag we had left behind last year.  Some of the glass jars and bottles are from another age, the pre-plastics era of my youth.

I plan to do another scout before October 6.  Downstream is the old mill site, i may send some of us there first.  Plenty of trash and relics just downstream of the bridge and mill.

I have 9 folks that have expressed interest and will be sending them emails with details weekly.  If your interested email me at prizma@aol.com.

While snorkeling today i observed lots of Logperch, a good sign in the long cobbled runs.  Also Redlines, Bluesides, Snubs.  Yellow Perch.  Spotted Sucker, Redhorses, Stonerollers, Striped and Warpaint Shiners, big Bass, little Bass, Sunfish mostly Redbreast, Hogsuckers.  A nice diversity in an urban stream.  Crayfish, snails galore and a single loggerheaded Musk Turtle.  Plenty more of everything if you look for critters instead of trash.

They selected my shirt design out of about 15 submitted and will be printing 1000 shirts this year.  Each volunteer gets a shirt and i will buy my team a cajun dinner that late afternoon.

Site.JPG

This is where i generally get in.  A bit precarious on the steep downside no slide on the loose riprap rubble.  You can see 2 of the 3 tires.  I plan to leave the dozens of tires but may remove them next year with a better plan, proper gear and more muscle.  But they are inert and are making ideal temporary trash deposits midcreek.

Bottles.JPG

A brown glass gallon jug that is embossed ROMAN.   ?

Lots of Pepsi, Coke and beer bottles, mustard, bleach, whiskey, medicine and plenty of unknowns.  I plan to save the interesting unbrokens for someone to look through.  Shards, cans, plastic, broken toys, auto parts... it is a treasure hunt of trash.

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#23 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 14 September 2018 - 06:48 PM

Wow 1000 shirts? That is one heck of a turnout. Good job.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#24 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 22 September 2018 - 12:19 PM

Tennessee River Rescue 2018

October 6, Saturday, 2 weeks away today.

This will be the 30th year and 1000 volunteers are expected, organized as site teams surrounding the Chattanooga area.

I'm hoping our snorkel team will number about 4 snorkeling wader and trash mongers and 2 stream bank hefters.

Bruce Bauer and i snorkeled the creek Thursday for another advance run.  We began to dislodge tires, flushing them out and perching them cleaned in the log jams.  We will need some muscle to pull them up the steep banks but i will have rope, snaps and gear to make it easier.

A few pics of the day...

10-TrashPile.JPG

Piling it up, many of these piles are now gathered.

11-Bass.JPG

This Bass ( Largemouth? )and another stayed with us most of the afternoon waiting for tasty critters to get dislodged.

12-Bottles.JPG

Some of the many bottles retrieved.  Subclass humanoids slung bags of trash into the creek as they drove along.  Much of the bottles and cans are memories of my youth when about everything came in glass of all colors.

13-Tire.JPG

Another tire.  It was kinda fun getting them ready but the flushing activity mucks up visibility downstream for quite awhile.  Many are buried deep with only the sidewalls showing.

14-BruceCasper.JPG

Afterwards i treated Bruce to a Cajun meal at J Gumbos. We had Red Beans & Rice, Crawfish Etouffee, and their Gumbo.  I could not get him to share a slice of Buttermilk Pie which befuddles me!

We had a fun time and i hope to return in one more week for another advance snorkel.  If you want to participate let me know.  Final plans are under way.

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#25 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 23 September 2018 - 07:30 AM

Good job, gents!
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#26 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow

Posted 23 September 2018 - 07:23 PM

I went back today... spent 6 hours underwater.  Gathering more trash and bagging 5 bags worth.  Added Carp and Shad to my ever growing list of North Chick species.  Forgot the camera.  Most common species were Logperch a plenty, Bluesides w/ black heads, Snubs, Bluegill, Redbreast and Shellcrackers.  Old Chub mounds made of gnarly cobble.  Schools of Warpaints and Striped Shiners.

Lightly rained on.

Casper Cox

#27 don212

don212
  • NANFA Member

Posted 24 September 2018 - 06:41 AM

eileen and i did a cleanup by canoe last week in our local canal, pulled a tire into boat and a nice 5 inch warmouth popped out, i guess i made him homeless, aquatic renewal has victims

#28 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow

Posted 04 October 2018 - 04:52 PM

Though we had massive rains about 10 days ago the creek's water has receded.  Though still a bit high and with less visibility it is a go for Saturday.  Weather is perfect otherwise, warm, clear and dry.

Casper Cox

#29 itsme

itsme
  • NANFA Member

Posted 07 October 2018 - 10:45 AM

Beautiful!  Thanks!

#30 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow

Posted 08 October 2018 - 03:44 PM

13-TRR-FullTruck.JPG

19 Tires.
24 Bags of bottles, glass shards, rusting cans, submerged plastics, broken pottery, jugs and rusting objects of unknown origin.
8 Volunteers.
1000s of black, hungry mosquitoes.
5 bowls of Gumbo.

A good, productive day.  Unseen are Bradley and Johannah who had to leave early and Jeremy way up high taking the photo.

Casper Cox

#31 lilyea

lilyea
  • NANFA Member
  • Peace River Watershed, Central Florida, USA

Posted 08 October 2018 - 10:20 PM

19 Tires.

24 Bags of bottles, glass shards, rusting cans, submerged plastics, broken pottery, jugs and rusting objects of unknown origin.
8 Volunteers.
1000s of black, hungry mosquitoes.
5 bowls of Gumbo.

A good, productive day.  Unseen are Bradley and Johannah who had to leave early and Jeremy way up high taking the photo.

Truly inspiring!  Thank you all for your hard work!

#32 Doug_Dame

Doug_Dame
  • NANFA Member

Posted 10 October 2018 - 07:22 PM

To the 8 heroes

(including epic scribe Casper)

I'd have posted a

Great Job

&

Thanks from all of us

quicker

if I hadn't been embarrassed

to not be able to be there to help.

Doug Dame

Floridian now back in Florida

#33 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow

Posted 12 October 2018 - 07:35 PM

I may get back this weekend before the cooling temps get too low and the snorkel season is through.

I sorted through the bottles today but they aint worth much besides interest.

One bottle is embossed Nesbitt's, another Stone Fizz and another United Dairies Chattanooga Tenn.

Attached Images

• TRR-Bottles.JPG
  • 14-SofaBags.JPG

Casper Cox

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users