Photo

Michigan asks public to review invasive carp plans

5 replies to this topic

#1 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 20 September 2017 - 08:21 AM

Michigan has been putting an emphasis on anti-invasive activities in their outreach for a bit now. Here is one of the latest releases...

https://content.govd...lletins/1b6e2ce
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#2 az9

az9
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:29 PM

I do have a question though. Considering most of the Great Lakes is deep and cold with low productivity and hardly similar to their native habitat, is it really a given they will be as devastating as indicated? I've heard this before about how the VHS virus was going to be absolutely devastating and it wasn't the case. 

That said I am all for doing what every it takes to keep them out as of course we don't want to take a chance.  

#3 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 22 September 2017 - 05:18 AM

A given, perhaps not. But they are pretty resilient creatures who could certainly spread along the lake shores. And that would give them access to a distressingly large area of the country. Bighead are already in Erie, apparently. Silver have not gotten so far. (Both statements based on an exhaustive 3 minute search of gov't sites online). I don't know their exact tolerances for temps, since the big lakes actually stay relatively warmer longer than most of their tribs, I can see them having the time to find suitable habitat, in the lakes or up in tribs, before pack ice sets in. The Great Lakes might not ever be "home" for them, but they may be a conduit to places they would establish large numbers in.

I am obviously no authority on these matters, but like you, I think I would prefer to stop these things where they are. I used to take solace in the fact that winter kept kudzu in the south, but it's moving north with warming. (and probably some natural selection I would think) These carp (and Round Goby) are the kudzu of the American waters right now...
Matt Knepley

#4 az9

az9
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 22 September 2017 - 01:40 PM

Makes sense to me and I did consider the littoral and riverine aspect to their spread. 

Turns out the gobies are getting nailed by brown trout and smallmouth bass in he Great Lakes. 

#5 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 22 September 2017 - 05:39 PM

"Turns out the gobies are getting nailed by brown trout and smallmouth bass in he Great Lakes."

To what extent,do you know? Are they becoming a standard forage for the trout and bass? It was kinda distressing that, in the little bit of net swinging I did in Lakes Michigan and Huron earlier this month, Round Goby was one of the easiest fish to come by.
Matt Knepley

#6 az9

az9
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 22 September 2017 - 05:43 PM

"Turns out the gobies are getting nailed by brown trout and smallmouth bass in he Great Lakes."

To what extent,do you know? Are they becoming a standard forage for the trout and bass? It was kinda distressing that, in the little bit of net swinging I did in Lakes Michigan and Huron earlier this month, Round Goby was one of the easiest fish to come by.

I have anglers telling me they are finding them in the stomaches of both species almost exclusively. Makes sense if you consider brown trout tend to but not always hang closer to shore than the salmon and steelhead  --- as do the smallmouth -- in the same rocky habitat of the gobies. 

In my fishing for brown trout in some lakes it seems the brown trout seem to be more bottom oriented than the rainbows trout which are more pelagic like the steelhead and salmon. 

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users