Couple of ID requests

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JasonL

JasonL
  • NANFA Member
  • Kentucky

Posted 23 September 2017 - 11:07 PM

Caught these fish in a small creek today in Western KY.. Was thinking they might be juvenile golden shiners and male/female orange throat darters. Does anyone agree or have other thoughts?

Attached File  image.jpeg   60.55KB   0 downloads

Attached File  image.jpeg   87.57KB   0 downloads

Attached File  image.jpeg   76.22KB   0 downloads

Attached File  image.jpeg   90.83KB   0 downloads

#2 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 23 September 2017 - 11:35 PM

Gosh, shiners are pretty washed out and I am not confident at all, but two striped shiners and a bluntnose minnow? On the flipside, I can say that both your darters are spectabile or one of the splits.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#3 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 24 September 2017 - 07:52 AM

That darter is alot like the one you posted to fishmap for id, Jason, although I would tend to agree with DLV on at least the first one. Your photo on fish map is of one funky fish, I actually kept going to Gulf Darter on it, but they don't get to quite where you were in KY. (I don't think so, anyway...) I certainly wasn't confident enough to approve or deny it. Was that darter from the same area as these?
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#4 JasonL

JasonL
  • NANFA Member
  • Kentucky

Posted 24 September 2017 - 09:00 AM

Matt

This is a different area from the darter pics I submitted earlier to fishmap. I am pretty sure those were rainbow darters if you are referring to the ones sampled near Paducah. Those were part of the Ohio River drainage in western KY. Here is a different pic than the one submitted showing the orange anal fin on one from the same spot.

Attached File  image.jpeg   83.36KB   0 downloads

The darter pics earlier in this thread are from a creek that is part of the Mississippi drainage system. They seem to be more common than rainbows in creeks connecting to the Mississippi while rainbows seem more attached to the Ohio. I rarely if ever see both coexisting in the same streams in my area.

Hope that clears things up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users