Mixing sculpin species

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Leo1234

Leo1234
  • NANFA Member
  • san clemente, california

Posted 13 October 2017 - 10:43 AM

Can mottled sculpin be mixed with other species of sculpin?

I have a 20 Long with 2 mottled sculpin at the moment. The aquarium is kept about 63F. I have a JBJ 1/10 HP Chiller on the aquarium and 1 Airstone

What species would work?

#2 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 13 October 2017 - 12:19 PM

Here on the east coast Banded sculpin are found in places with Mottled.  I've kept them together with no issues.  I don't think there is any reason to believe than any two species wouldn't be compatible.  

Nick L.

#3 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 13 October 2017 - 04:09 PM

No fish can be kept with a sculpin, only meals
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#4 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 13 October 2017 - 05:00 PM

No reason not to keep more than one species of sculpin. Just don't keep more than one size. Other smaller sized bottom dwellers are also at major risk, sure you know this already. More pelagic species are not totally safe either. If it fits in that huge mouth, it very well may end up there. I would keep similar sized carolinae and bairdii together, that is all I a familiar with. Better be very similar sized though.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#5 Leo1234

Leo1234
  • NANFA Member
  • san clemente, california

Posted 15 October 2017 - 10:32 AM

Thank you for the help. Now I have to figure out is what species I can get and how I can get them. some of the species I was thinking of getting are Banded sculpin and prickly sculpin (I would have to get the prickly sculpin from Oregon or Washington)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users