Photo

New Native Tank Help

6 replies to this topic

#1 fish ALLday

fish ALLday
  • NANFA Guest
  • Pennsylvania (PA)

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:40 AM

So I've recently decided I want to keep a native tank (Southern PA) and have been lurking through all the topics on this thread trying to learn. Now I just want to ask questions to get opinions from all you who know what you're doing lol.

Tank:

Debating on a 40 or a 55 gallon tank. Just because that's what is on my local Craigslist right now and what I can afford.

Want to plant the tank (not really interested in a stream set up)

Plants:

Here's where I really need help. I have no idea what to plant in my tank AT ALL! Anything would be helpful that I can look up and see what it looks like or where to get it. I plan on having some plants and a smaller piece of driftwood from the rover around me in the tank.

Also, suggestions on what I should put on the bottom? Sand? Gravel?...i want it to look natural and easy to take care of.

Fish:

I'd like to catch my own but I have see people on here selling fish as well. I'd like to keep a northern longear, maybe 2? But I don't want to overcrowd the tank. Other option is a rockbass? And if I had room in the tank keep something smaller (open to ideas!)

Thanks guys for any feedback!

Edited by fish ALLday, 19 October 2017 - 09:07 AM.

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 19 October 2017 - 01:19 PM

If you just want to keep a piece of drift wood and some plants and a single sunfish, then I would try to catch something yourself on hook and line and get as small an individual as you can (3 inches would be great).  I would go for the 40 gallon tank.  Even though they are not native, Sandwich loves his amazon sword as a large plant that he can lurk around.  I also have Val in his tank and that is a native plant.  For a sunfish, you do not really need a sand substrate (males will likely dig a bit anyway).  Many plans will grow well in something like Saf-T-Sorb that you can buy at Tractor Supply or similar.  You have to rinse it a lot, but it is very good for growing some plants and much cheaper than aquarium specific products.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Cricket

Cricket
  • NANFA Guest
  • Phoenix

Posted 19 October 2017 - 02:55 PM

Water sprite is a pretty easy plant to grow and since It can float or be rooted you don't really need a great substrate and if some fish knock it around it's not as big a deal. Same can be said for hornwart. Another easy plant is annubias. It doesn't require a lot of light or fertilizer so pretty easy to grow. You could also use 100% fullers earth kitty litter for substrate. A bag for 1.99 at my Wal-Mart. You could also mix that with sand if you wanted. I'm new to native fishes so that's where my help ends :)

#4 JasonL

JasonL
  • NANFA Member
  • Kentucky

Posted 19 October 2017 - 03:01 PM

I'm not sure how common Longears are in southern PA, but I think Pumpkinseed are pretty common in your area and nearly as colorful. I think you could put one of either in a 40 gallon along with some locally caught shiners or topminnows. As an added bonus you could catch them yourself on rod and reel or even a dip net if you wanted a smaller specimen.

Use gravel/sand from a local stream. I have found the smaller the gravel the less food and debris gets trapped underneath so I tend to favor this over the larger rocks. Also if you can find coontail it is a fairly idiot proof plant and will help keep the tank water clean.

#5 fish ALLday

fish ALLday
  • NANFA Guest
  • Pennsylvania (PA)

Posted 22 October 2017 - 05:11 PM

So if I go the pumpkinseed route you suggest 1 with minnows as well? Or could in have 2?

And with a gravel substrate would I need to put sand underneath or anything?

And with a planted tank do I need CO2 for the tank?

#6 JasonL

JasonL
  • NANFA Member
  • Kentucky

Posted 22 October 2017 - 08:38 PM

Single fish, pea sized gravel or smaller with or without sand , no CO2, add 6-8 local minnows to round it out.

Now that that's settled, time to hit some local waters and post some pics of what you find.

#7 fish ALLday

fish ALLday
  • NANFA Guest
  • Pennsylvania (PA)

Posted 22 October 2017 - 08:42 PM

Awesome! Thanks man! Now I just have to figure out the plants I want/lay out and I'll start to post pics. Picking up the 40 gal tank this week and I'm sure I'll have more questions aboit filter, lights etc.

Thanks again Jason

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users