Darter Food?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Slasher_*

Guest_Slasher_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2007 - 01:32 AM

I have managed to get 3 darters in my tank now. One female Johnny and a male/female pair greenside. I have tried freeze dried tubifex without much luck. They really don't go to the top for food either. I have freeze dried blood worms and shrimp, but I haven't tried it yet. What have you had success with when it comes to new darters?

#2 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2007 - 05:17 AM

Frozen bloodworms! I have never had a darter refuse them for any length of time. Also your greensides are made to eat snails, give them some, it is rather amusing to watch them suck them out of the shells.

#3 Guest_paoutlaw13_*

Guest_paoutlaw13_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2007 - 07:56 AM

i have a tank set up that has about 6 or so different darter species. in my experience i think using very small worms and cutting them up into tiny pieces has been the best. the worms are a very good source of protien for them. if you want to get some good worms wait until a rainstorm and go outside and collect them off the black-top. to store them get a container and buy worm bedding from walmart or basically anystore that has a small fishing section.

#4 Guest_Slasher_*

Guest_Slasher_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2007 - 12:34 PM

I'll be picking up some bloodworms this Friday then. I've noticed that they don't eat flake food when it's coming down to the bottom, but when it's been on the bottom, they kinda forage around and eat it up. I'd prefer though to give them something they actually like.

#5 Guest_fatpocketbook_*

Guest_fatpocketbook_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2007 - 03:21 PM

I would go the Crail method - mysis shrimp, the good stuff that is 60% protein. Expensive yes, but it totally rocks. You can keep even the most demanding darters with it. Otherwise, I use a mix of the above, plus brine shrimp and bloodworms to lessen the cost.

Not endorsing this site or anything, but mysis packaging looks like
http://www.saltycrit...ods-piscine.htm

Jeff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users