Photo

Longears: tank mates and flow questions

4 replies to this topic

#1 Aquarist Fist

Aquarist Fist
  • NANFA Guest
  • Oregon

Posted 20 October 2017 - 01:20 AM

I have a 60 gallon aquarium with a male Missouri long ear, two western sand dollars, as well as an ancient pearl gourami, a lonely diamond tetra, and a couple of otocinclus left from a previous tropical build. Weird mix, but everyone gets along. 

Two questions:

1. The tank is filtered by an Eheim 2217, and there is very little flow. I've been struggling with some algae and bacteria (aka blue-green slime "algae"). I was entertaining the thought of adding a second 2217, but I don't actually think the fish are causing this (especially since I only feed every 2nd to 3rd day). It's possible that a large piece of driftwood I collected is leaching something into the water, but for now I decided to battle the mess with a ton of water lettuce (covering the entire surface and increased flow by adding a powerhead. My question is, will my sunfish be okay with some flow? I am thinking of a 600 to 750 gph unit.

2. When the tropical fish die out eventually, I'd like to add some non-sunfish tank mates. What are some suitable native tank mates for my guys? Ideally, I'd like something that is lively and occupies the upper part of the tank. The tank is topless, but the dense water lettuce growth should hopefully prevent suicidal jumping. The tank is around 68 - 70 degrees most of the year - a bit warmer in the summer. 

Thanks so much!

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 20 October 2017 - 07:19 AM

Yes your long ear will find a spot where he is comfortable and can handle some current.

Creek chubs are pretty tough and should survive the sunfish and can be attractive as the settle in. Some Cyprinella sp. should also be more than capable of managing themselves around a sunfish. Check a field guide or tell us where you are located in general to see what is local to you.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Aquarist Fist

Aquarist Fist
  • NANFA Guest
  • Oregon

Posted 20 October 2017 - 10:46 AM

Thanks, Michael!

I'm in NW Oregon, but since my tank is pretty warm consistently, I try to focus on fish from the southern parts of the US. I got my sunfish from Zimmerman's. 

#4 NotCousteau

NotCousteau
  • NANFA Guest
  • Minnesota

Posted 20 October 2017 - 07:55 PM

Can't beat mud minnows, but I don't know if they're big enough to escape the sunfish.

#5 Aquarist Fist

Aquarist Fist
  • NANFA Guest
  • Oregon

Posted 21 October 2017 - 10:05 PM

Can't beat mud minnows, but I don't know if they're big enough to escape the sunfish.

Minnows are nice! I might just catch a few bigger ones. Will have to wait until late spring, though. It's just too cold to make the jump to my ~68 degree tank right now, I think.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users