Photo

Lake Waccamaw, NC Trip Report

25 replies to this topic

#1 taldridge0321

taldridge0321
  • NANFA Member
  • Pigeon Watershed, North Carolina

Posted 26 October 2017 - 08:07 AM

Casey and I had a very successful micro-fishing trip to Lake Waccamaw a couple of weeks ago. We were able to catch 15 species on hook and line and several more while collecting. We missed a couple of target species, including the Taillight Shiner, which I have collected there before, but we are planning another trip in the Spring. 1.JPG

#2 taldridge0321

taldridge0321
  • NANFA Member

Posted 26 October 2017 - 08:07 AM

Golden Shiner2.JPG

#3 taldridge0321

taldridge0321
  • NANFA Member

Posted 26 October 2017 - 08:08 AM

White Catfish4.JPG

#4 taldridge0321

taldridge0321
  • NANFA Member

Posted 26 October 2017 - 08:08 AM

Coastal Shiner3.JPG

#5 taldridge0321

taldridge0321
  • NANFA Member

Posted 26 October 2017 - 08:09 AM

Eastern Mosquitofish6.JPG

#6 taldridge0321

taldridge0321
  • NANFA Member

Posted 26 October 2017 - 08:10 AM

8.JPG​The dam at Lake Waccamaw.

#7 taldridge0321

taldridge0321
  • NANFA Member

Posted 26 October 2017 - 08:10 AM

Bluegill7.JPG

#8 taldridge0321

taldridge0321
  • NANFA Member

Posted 26 October 2017 - 08:11 AM

Dollar Sunfish9.JPG

#9 taldridge0321

taldridge0321
  • NANFA Member

Posted 26 October 2017 - 08:11 AM

Flier9b.JPG

#10 taldridge0321

taldridge0321
  • NANFA Member

Posted 26 October 2017 - 08:12 AM

Golden Topminnow's were the most difficult to catch on hook and line. We spent about six hours total and caught two, this is Casey's big male.10.JPG

#11 taldridge0321

taldridge0321
  • NANFA Member

Posted 26 October 2017 - 08:13 AM

Bluespotted Sunfish11.JPG

#12 taldridge0321

taldridge0321
  • NANFA Member

Posted 26 October 2017 - 08:13 AM

Yellow Bullhead13.JPG

#13 taldridge0321

taldridge0321
  • NANFA Member

Posted 26 October 2017 - 08:14 AM

A Bowfin on two pound line was the highlight of the trip. We lost another three.12.JPG

#14 taldridge0321

taldridge0321
  • NANFA Member

Posted 26 October 2017 - 08:15 AM

Warmouth14.JPG

#15 taldridge0321

taldridge0321
  • NANFA Member

Posted 26 October 2017 - 08:15 AM

White Perch15.JPG

#16 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 26 October 2017 - 08:47 AM

Wow, that's quite a day.  Great report!  That golden topminnow is a beauty!

Kevin Wilson

#17 zooxanthellae

zooxanthellae
  • NANFA Member
  • North Carolina

Posted 26 October 2017 - 11:20 AM

Nice trip man! Where did you find the coastal shiners? 

We were there last Sunday, brought the big guns and still only caught half as many fish! We did catch a few Golden's as well, but we had to really work for them, and only found them at the boat ramp. We also managed tons of taillights at the dam, but no white perch, or dollar sunfish, or coastal shiners. If you go in the spring, let's meet up. 

#18 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 26 October 2017 - 11:41 AM

Nice trip man! Where did you find the coastal shiners?   We were there last Sunday, brought the big guns and still only caught half as many fish! We did catch a few Golden's as well, but we had to really work for them, and only found them at the boat ramp. We also managed tons of taillights at the dam, but no white perch, or dollar sunfish, or coastal shiners. If you go in the spring, let's meet up. 

That's odd ...  the times i've seined there we get about 5,000 coastal shiners per one taillight (in the canal) and I've never seen a taillight in the lake.  The coastal shiners in Waccamaw (especially in the canal) do have a good bit more brassy-orange-red color than coastals I've seen elsewhere (Deep River, Cape Fear River, Buckhorn Creek) which look very much like Cape Fear shiners.

Do you think the chrysotus arrived in Lake Waccamaw on their own power, or were introduced?  The fact that they're most abundant around the boat ramp and rare elsewhere in the lake seems suspicious.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#19 taldridge0321

taldridge0321
  • NANFA Member

Posted 26 October 2017 - 11:56 AM

Nice trip man! Where did you find the coastal shiners? 

We were there last Sunday, brought the big guns and still only caught half as many fish! We did catch a few Golden's as well, but we had to really work for them, and only found them at the boat ramp. We also managed tons of taillights at the dam, but no white perch, or dollar sunfish, or coastal shiners. If you go in the spring, let's meet up. 

Thanks man! We caught Coastal's everywhere, and I mean everywhere in the lake, must have had 200 or so on hook and line while trying to catch Taillight's. Nice job finding them, Casey and I didn't have any luck. We need to go together because I have some killer spots in the canals for pretty much everything else Casey and I caught. The Golden Topminnows are only in a few locations along the canals, unless Fritz knows another place to find them around the area?

#20 taldridge0321

taldridge0321
  • NANFA Member

Posted 26 October 2017 - 11:57 AM

That's odd ...  the times i've seined there we get about 5,000 coastal shiners per one taillight (in the canal) and I've never seen a taillight in the lake.  The coastal shiners in Waccamaw (especially in the canal) do have a good bit more brassy-orange-red color than coastals I've seen elsewhere (Deep River, Cape Fear River, Buckhorn Creek) which look very much like Cape Fear shiners.

Do you think the chrysotus arrived in Lake Waccamaw on their own power, or were introduced?  The fact that they're most abundant around the boat ramp and rare elsewhere in the lake seems suspicious.

Gerald, the Taillight's are best found in May along the boat ramps, Fritz told me about that. I've found one there last year and one from the year before, but that's it. Trying to get one on hook and line might be a huge challenge.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users