Photo

Prescription masks this cheap really any good?

10 replies to this topic

#1 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 01 November 2017 - 06:13 AM

Now that I've commandeered and eaten any and all of my daughter's Halloween candy worth unwrapping, I have time to think over the upcoming Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays. I found these masks

https://www.amazon.c...9c626c453bf70f5

and wonder if they're any good. The price seems too good to be true to this total noob.

I assume I'll have to settle for an "almost" prescription as it appears the lenses are stock and not custom. But for the forty clams and the handful of uses these things would likely get all year that'd be alright. If this snorkel bug should set hold to me then maybe I'd consider pricier options.
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#2 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 01 November 2017 - 06:29 AM

You're not getting, old....are you, Matt?  I can't speak for masks and prescription lenses, but is Lasik an option!?  I've been fortunate to have good vision and spend my money on pricey dive masks that fit well.  Having a cold face is one thing, but not having a mask that smashes my nose or pinches the bridge is worth it.  So unless I'm buying an exact replacement, I always go into a dive shop to try on new masks to make sure they fit well and are comfortable.

Nick L.

#3 trygon

trygon
  • NANFA Member
  • Knoxville, Tennessee

Posted 01 November 2017 - 07:25 AM

As Nick said fit is the primary consideration.  I wear contact when I dive/snorkel, but I've heard that for some people it's a problem.  Here are a couple of links you might find interesting:  https://www.scubaboard.com/community/threads/prescription-masks.551869/     and   https://www.seavisionusa.com/site/index    .

Bryce Gibson
There are sharks in every ocean...except Billy Ocean.

#4 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 01 November 2017 - 07:59 AM

I think it sounds pretty good. I have read the questions and answers they were well responded too.  I would read all of the many reviews.

Most masks fit most people nowadays.  Silicone is very soft and conforms well.  My reader glass mask with the lenses was about $150.

I certainly think it's a good opportunity at $40. so dollars. Consult carefully with your eye guy to determine proper numbers.

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#5 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 01 November 2017 - 08:25 AM

Depending on your type of vision correction. It could be a good deal. I think I only paid $100 for custom (to the0.25 diopter and different for left/right). If your prescription is similar left/right then you will likely have a good experience.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#6 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 01 November 2017 - 08:58 AM

Reading the Q & A you can select different lenses left and right.  Some suggested a slightly different strength because you are underwater.

?

At 40 bucks it is hard to go wrong... with the correct eye numbers.

If you have never had a proper mask for your eyes now is the chance...however... this time of year it will be the local YMCA pool or a trip to the Sunshine State to see how your new purchase performs.

!

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#7 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 01 November 2017 - 04:56 PM

My eyes are about 20/400 and 20/375? Blind. Somewhere in that range. I spent about $100 and am happy with what I got online. The lenses are different powers. I don't snorkel enough to feel like I need any better. The first 20 minutes or so of wearing it is a bit disorienting, just like putting on a new pair of glasses, so that is expected.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#8 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 01 November 2017 - 05:02 PM

Actually Matt, that looks Identical to the pair I have.  You found a better deal, Amazon was not as awesome back then, except for books.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#9 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 02 November 2017 - 06:01 AM

Thanks, gents.

Nick- I am fighting getting old; in spirit anyway. Holding at 51% Sponge Bob goofy goober and 49% Mr. Wilson from Dennis the Menace.

After checking out the links and considering the advice and personal experiences you guys gave me I think I'll give these a try. I do expect it to be a little disorienting at first (probably on each use) because my current glasses are progressives with two slightly different prescriptions. But if I enjoy them enough maybe I can start thinking about more custom masks with more precise fit and prescription.

The ol' Fin Chaser Mail Slinger needs a new CV axle today, but odds are good that next pay day my wife will surprise herself and buy me an early Christmas present.

Maybe I'll have to visit my son in Tampa this winter...
Matt Knepley

#10 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 02 November 2017 - 04:10 PM

I think youll be fine. I switch from progressives to mask with no problem.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#11 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 03 November 2017 - 05:12 AM

Good to know. Especially considering your Coke bottles exceed even mine!
Matt Knepley

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users