Seining and Microfishing for Crayfish

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CrayfishCatcher

CrayfishCatcher
  • NANFA Guest
  • Middle Tennessee

Posted 05 November 2017 - 12:47 PM

Most people know you normally catch fish while microfishing, but you can also catch crayfish.
While microfishing Martins Creek in Tennessee, I caught many crayfish. If you catch one, they normally just pinch the hook and not actually hook themself. So when the crayfish comes near shore, he may let go.
So, I always have a net nearby to scoop the crayfish up if he lets go. I also catch crayfish microfishing when I stick the bait in crevices of rocks.

I also catch crayfish while seining. It is crazy how many you can catch. I always take a few pics then release them. It is always fun seeing them dart away after release. Here is a picture of one i caught while seining.Attached File  DEE0A62D-62C2-4F9F-BFF1-89C84B1AF798.jpeg   154.18KB   3 downloads

I must warn you, they hurt when they pinch you! I hope you have as much fun as I do catching crayfish.

#2 CrayfishCatcher

CrayfishCatcher
  • NANFA Guest
  • Middle Tennessee

Posted 05 November 2017 - 12:53 PM

Anyone else ever caught crayfish while microfishing?

Edited by CrayfishCatcher, 05 November 2017 - 12:54 PM.

#3 Colorful0Giraffe

Colorful0Giraffe
  • NANFA Guest
  • TN

Posted 05 November 2017 - 01:01 PM

Nice crayfish, that one looks vicious and HUGE!!!  There is a spring below my house and I enjoy going down and observing their general aggression towards everything.  One thing is for sure their aggression is unmatched.

#4 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 06 November 2017 - 05:23 AM

When I was a kid we used to catch 'em by hand all the time. Except the big ones, those we used a long, skinny stick for. We'd poke it at the cray til it grabbed hold and lift it out. We didn't know we were microfishing! Glad to hear folks still do this!
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#5 NotCousteau

NotCousteau
  • NANFA Guest
  • Minnesota

Posted 06 November 2017 - 10:14 AM

My favorite thing to do as a kid on fishing trips with my dad and brothers was to catch crayfish and small sunfish near shore by hook. My dad couldn't stand it! He wanted us hauling in the walleyes and bass.

The challenge was to quickly but gently swing the crayfish over to the shore before released its grip on the bait.

Edited by NotCousteau, 06 November 2017 - 10:14 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users