Photo

Fluff Intended to Promote Broader Interest in Native Aquatic Organisms

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 13 November 2017 - 01:54 PM

The attached was originally conceived as an effort to get Missourians to know my institution and program exists.  That is a perceived problem by many outside the profession we typically target. Remember, I am mostly a fish culturist where there has to be money in addition to the love for the effort. More will be done and I hope others can provide fluff as well.  Geographic area served is small but number of readers might dwarf us (I paid my dues last week so I am part of us again).

Red Spotted Sunfish are round one.  I would like to do Bluegill next time although the average person simply cannot handle the excitement.

Attached Files

Find ways for people not already interested in natives to value them.

#2 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 13 November 2017 - 04:25 PM

Very nice article!  Is "Darter" a local aquarium club's newsletter?  I've been doing native fish talks and field trips for the Raleigh Aquar Soc since the 80's, and while most tropical fish hobbyists are happy to hear the talks and see the fish we bring back from trips, only a few actually want to get in the water and collect, or dedicate a tank for natives.   I imagine most NANFA folks who are also involved in the tropical fish hobby have seen this. 

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#3 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 13 November 2017 - 05:18 PM

Very nice article!  Is "Darter" a local aquarium club's newsletter?  I've been doing native fish talks and field trips for the Raleigh Aquar Soc since the 80's, and while most tropical fish hobbyists are happy to hear the talks and see the fish we bring back from trips, only a few actually want to get in the water and collect, or dedicate a tank for natives.   I imagine most NANFA folks who are also involved in the tropical fish hobby have seen this. 

Where I am located, interest in natives is waning if they cannot be taken by angling.  The number of really vested aquarium fish keepers is also very low.  Overlap of those interested in natives and fish keeping appears close to nill.  I teach a course concerning such and it nothing to have an entire class of 25 with zero fish keeping experience.

Find ways for people not already interested in natives to value them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users