Photo

Just Joined

5 replies to this topic

#1 Slow73

Slow73
  • NANFA Guest
  • PNW

Posted 23 November 2017 - 05:00 AM

Just joined and recently decided to get back into having an aquarium.  I want to go back to raising fish that I have always fished for that being bass and sunfish.  I used to have bluegill and bass in tanks back in the day but I just always threw in the youngsters that I caught on hook and line. Never thinking about cycling a tank etc. and this time I want to do it right.  I think it will be cool for my son to see some of the same fish he will be catching right in his living room.

After negotiations with the wife as of this time I will be using a 30 gal. tank to start my nearly native aquarium (but the plan is to eventually get a 40 or even 55 + gallon). In the next month or so I will be obtaining some minnows, a couple of sunfish (from a NANFA vendor) and a small catfish to start off.  All will be babies and I'm thinking my 30 gallons should be enough for a few months until I can weasel my way into a larger tank. I would like to use live plants this time but I have to admit they seem intimidating so I might skip that. 

I have to admitted I have a lot to learn but I'm looking forward to the challenge.

Can't wait to pick yalls brain.

Slow73

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 23 November 2017 - 08:45 AM

Welcome. There are definitely folks here that can help you with your tank. Ill start by aging that you should not be afraid of live plants. They are easier than you think (or at least some are). And they actually help us n many ways.

Read some of the threads here on Walsted style tanks or deep substrate. In my experience that general approach really makes live plants easier.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 24 November 2017 - 11:30 AM

... or the REALLY easy plants that you don't even need to root in substrate:  Hornwort, Guppy-grass, Frogbit, Watersprite, Java Fern, Java Moss, ...

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#4 Cu455

Cu455
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 25 November 2017 - 09:11 AM

When I first got into natives I started with 3 small white bullheads and a bunch of tiny sunfish. After a few month the sunfish started to dwindle and at around the 9 month mark no more sunfish. The catfish ate them. Just something to consider, maybe start with sunfish much larger then the catfish.

Gerard has the right idea about plants, but depending on the catfish the plants will get eaten or more likely uprooted.

#5 Slow73

Slow73
  • NANFA Guest
  • PNW

Posted 25 November 2017 - 12:46 PM

... or the REALLY easy plants that you don't even need to root in substrate:  Hornwort, Guppy-grass, Frogbit, Watersprite, Java Fern, Java Moss, ...

Wow I didn't know you could grow Java Ferns with substrate I might give it a shot. Dang I gotta lot to learn.

When I first got into natives I started with 3 small white bullheads and a bunch of tiny sunfish. After a few month the sunfish started to dwindle and at around the 9 month mark no more sunfish. The catfish ate them. Just something to consider, maybe start with sunfish much larger then the catfish.

Gerard has the right idea about plants, but depending on the catfish the plants will get eaten or more likely uprooted.

My catfish might not be "native" looking at a smaller cat hoping that will solve that problem. BTW in your experience do sunfish (i.e. Longears) grow fast?

#6 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 25 November 2017 - 03:47 PM

Plenty of madtoms that would work for native catfish. Longears grow relatively quick if you are feeding them properly. I suggest looking at northern sunfish. Almost as attractive( were considered a longear subspecies until recently), smaller size and a less aggressive disposition. However that may not go with the theme of your tank.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users