Photo

Rigging and Techniques

3 replies to this topic

#1 sideburns24

sideburns24
  • NANFA Guest
  • Urbana OH

Posted 06 December 2017 - 10:55 AM

Just getting into native fish and micro fishing. Having issues getting fish to bite. I've mainly been using pieces of earthworm and Berkely maggots as bait. Also, is there an alternative to sight fishing? What is everyone's favorite setup and presentation for micro fishing?  Just looking for some general tips. Thanks!

#2 BenCantrell

BenCantrell
  • Sebastian, FL

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:35 AM

What's your location?  If you're in the midwest, and it's getting cold out, that's probably why you're having trouble getting bites.

#3 sideburns24

sideburns24
  • NANFA Guest
  • Urbana OH

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:43 AM

I'm in Ohio. But i wasn't talking about right now specifically. I just started this past summer and didn't have much luck through the summer and into the fall.  Wanted to get some ideas to try for next year. 

Edited by sideburns24, 06 December 2017 - 11:43 AM.

#4 BenCantrell

BenCantrell
  • Sebastian, FL

Posted 06 December 2017 - 12:09 PM

For bait, dig up some local earthworms.  That will rule out the chance that the store bought ones aren't attractive to the fish.

Order a few packs of "Owner New Half Moon Tanago Hooks (snelled) 10 hooks - $4.00" from http://www.tenkarabu...hing-hooks.html

Any ultralight, light, or medium-light rod will do.  Different lengths work in different situations.  Shorter (5.5 ft) work well when you're wading, longer (7.5 ft+) work well when you need to reach from the bank.

Line should be 4 lb or lighter.  I don't see any benefit of going super light though.  The last 12 inches of your line are going to be the presnelled line on the hook, which is probably 1/2 lb strength.

If your gear is good, then all that's left is observing the fish and figuring out what gets them interested in feeding.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users