Photo

lake chubsucker

7 replies to this topic

#1 don212

don212
  • NANFA Member

Posted 27 December 2017 - 08:47 AM

i have a lake chubsucker in my 29 g tank, with coastal shiners, mollies, topminnows,a swamp darter, all small fish. the chubsucker is growing slowly, currently 6 in., I like him, he seems nonaggresive, not very active, and a good cleaner, and my only large fish, other than a texas cichlid that has his own tank, but the fl. collector guide says he gets to 16 in. and categorizes him as not suitable fr aquaria. Will he really get that big, and is there anything else that makes him not suitable

#2 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 27 December 2017 - 09:10 AM

They are fish-eating Cichlids. Definitely not suitable with anything that will fit in their mouth such as you have in your peaceful community tank. Keep them separated. He will be fine alone. They can get large, but Ive never personally seen one make it to 16.
Nick L.

#3 smbass

smbass
  • Board of Directors

Posted 27 December 2017 - 04:26 PM

I am pretty sure he was referring to the lake chubsucker. I personally find them to be the most suitable sucker as an aquarium fish. They seem to feed on many typically available fish foods and are very adaptable to aquarium life. In my experience they don't get much bigger than 6-8 inches in an aquarium.

Brian J. Zimmerman

Gambier, Ohio - Kokosing River Drainage

#4 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 27 December 2017 - 08:34 PM

Don,

I would believe Brian, but I really think you owe it to the rest of us to just keep this experiment going.  I'm sure that they are not aggressive.  I think the only issue is they might get too big.  But you need to prove that to all of us.  How long have you had him? Has he actually grown over that time?

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#5 smbass

smbass
  • Board of Directors

Posted 27 December 2017 - 11:09 PM

I would add feeding sinking shrimp pellets and keeping them over sand substrate seems to be a great combination for keeping suckers in general.

Brian J. Zimmerman

#6 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 28 December 2017 - 07:43 AM

AH, I was reading it as, "Can my Tx cichlid live in/with my stream community fish".  I stand firm with a NO! :D

Nick L.

#7 don212

don212
  • NANFA Member

Posted 28 December 2017 - 08:47 AM

thanks Brian, i've had him about 6 months i think, he was only about 2.5 in. then , he hangs around in back of tank cleaning bottom, and a little algae off bottom. i recently got some shrimp sticks which i'm feeding. not flashy at all, but fun when you notice this big guy on bottom. Had a fat sleeper before, but as he grew fish began to disappear. 

#8 smbass

smbass
  • Board of Directors

Posted 28 December 2017 - 08:59 AM

Yeah you will never have fish disappear from a chubsucker.

Brian J. Zimmerman

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users