Photo

New River TN seine trip

20 replies to this topic

#1 ShadetreeIchthyologist

ShadetreeIchthyologist
  • Regional Rep
  • Charleston SC

Posted 16 January 2018 - 04:09 PM

Went up to the devil's triangle to test the new seine net out that I got for Christmas. Didn't spend much time in the water but I was able to catch this greenside darter, a few dace, and some stonerollers.

Attached Images

• Attach4824_20180113_191707.jpg
  • rsz_20180113_173410.jpg

Edited by ShadetreeIchthyologist, 16 January 2018 - 04:15 PM.

"Amateurs can potentially make valuable contributions to our knowledge of fishes". - Etnier and Starnes

#2 Akpinion

Akpinion
  • NANFA Member
  • Texas

Posted 16 January 2018 - 11:16 PM

Beautiful! Any stoneroller pics? 

#3 ShadetreeIchthyologist

ShadetreeIchthyologist
  • Regional Rep
  • Charleston SC

Posted 17 January 2018 - 09:49 AM

No, I wasn't expecting to get anything so I didn't get my camera till the darter showed up. 

"Amateurs can potentially make valuable contributions to our knowledge of fishes". - Etnier and Starnes

#4 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 17 January 2018 - 01:26 PM

It's good to see one so motivated.

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#5 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:45 AM

Somebody else who isn't afraid of the cold! There are actually a few of us hiding around here. Neoprene sure helps...
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#6 TimothyHD

TimothyHD
  • NANFA Guest
  • Menomonee Falls, WI

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:16 AM

I keep trying to get in the water here in Wisconsin, but it must be a miracle, cause all I can do is walk on the surface! 

#7 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:24 AM

I keep trying to get in the water here in Wisconsin, but it must be a miracle, cause all I can do is walk on the surface!

:)

Good ol' Yankee water can be mighty uncooperative sometimes, can't it? I remember that same phenomenon from days of my youth. Kinda miss it, to be honest.
Matt Knepley

#8 TimothyHD

TimothyHD
  • NANFA Guest
  • Menomonee Falls, WI

Posted 18 January 2018 - 02:15 PM

Good ol' Yankee water can be mighty uncooperative sometimes, can't it? I remember that same phenomenon from days of my youth. Kinda miss it, to be honest.

I don't know.  This was my first year out in the water hunting down fish and I've got a terrible itch to get back at it.  Chances of a trip south are slim to none, so I await spring...

#9 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 19 January 2018 - 06:55 AM

Menomonee Falls is by Milwaukee and not on the Menominee River on the WI/MI border, right? The latter is ice-jammed and flooding from what I understand. That is certainly winter water to avoid!
Matt Knepley

#10 TimothyHD

TimothyHD
  • NANFA Guest
  • Menomonee Falls, WI

Posted 19 January 2018 - 08:19 AM

Correct. We have the Little Menomonee river, which is maybe 15' wide in places.  I fish little creeks, mostly, and also the Milwaukee river.  We do have quite a few small to medium lake in SE Wisconsin.

#11 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 19 January 2018 - 05:04 PM

Congrats on success 1st time out with the new net, pretty fish!

There are ways around it.  Didn't stop me!   :D/

IMG_9051_zpscihg8kua.jpg

IMG_9049_zps3vgtamls.jpg

Kevin Wilson

#12 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 19 January 2018 - 06:06 PM

Looks lonely out there. Just the way I like my fishing holes. Nice gill, too!
Matt Knepley

#13 ShadetreeIchthyologist

ShadetreeIchthyologist
  • Regional Rep
  • Charleston SC

Posted 27 January 2018 - 02:01 PM

Went back this weekend before the storm. Lots of rainbow darters and what I believe are speckled chubs but its very likely just a stoneroller. I have contacted Dr. Keck about the chubs/stoneroller. I will provide an update when he emails me back. What do y'all think it is?  :-k

Attached Images

• 20180127_111255.jpg
  • 20180127_111834.jpg
  • 20180127_111912.jpg
  • 20180127_111957.jpg

#14 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 27 January 2018 - 03:05 PM

Very sharp looking Rainbows.
Nick L.

#15 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 27 January 2018 - 04:01 PM

great looking rainbows... are you sure that your unknown is not a female dace... not sure what you have up there... but looks kinda like what I would expect a female blacknose dace to look like after capture... but its really hard to tell with that drop of water hiding her mouth (oh and I am terrible at this game... I join in every once in a while just to keep it interesting).

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#16 ShadetreeIchthyologist

ShadetreeIchthyologist
  • Regional Rep
  • Charleston SC

Posted 27 January 2018 - 05:46 PM

The drop of water is making this all the more fun! Micheal, you are probably right. Do note that their color didn't seem to change from the net to the holding tank. 

#17 ShadetreeIchthyologist

ShadetreeIchthyologist
  • Regional Rep
  • Charleston SC

Posted 27 January 2018 - 06:41 PM

Dr. Keck emailed back and said " The minnow is a Western Blacknosed Dace, Rhinichthys obtusus. The scales on the dorsum between the head and dorsal fin are smaller and more crowded than all the other scales, which narrows the possible species. Stonerollers, Campostoma spp. , do not have crowded predorsal scales". So it looks like you were right Micheal!

#18 MtFallsTodd

MtFallsTodd
  • NANFA Member
  • Mountain Falls, Virginia

Posted 28 January 2018 - 08:21 AM

That's a nice box of rainbows.
Deep in the hills of Great North Mountain

#19 ShadetreeIchthyologist

ShadetreeIchthyologist
  • Regional Rep
  • Charleston SC

Posted 28 January 2018 - 12:42 PM

That's a nice box of rainbows.

Thanks, Todd. I just couldn't keep them out of the net, so into the photo tank they went.

#20 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 29 January 2018 - 10:49 AM

You had a nice collection of fish on this trip, especially those rainbow darters.  

Kevin Wilson

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users