Where to get swampfish?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Thyroyalgeek

Thyroyalgeek
  • NANFA Guest
  • North carolina

Posted 16 January 2018 - 11:14 PM

I absolutely LOVE going out to creeks and streams and catching/studying wildlife, and that is what I will hopefully end up doing when I grow up. I have been looking for swampfish (chologaster cornuta) for what seems like eternity, and to no avail. I very rarely get to "fish hunt" and when I do, its for a limited time. Any vendors anywhere? I haven't been able to find anyone that sells (much less breeds) them. Always thought they were a cool fish, and I have a small 14 gallon I could keep them in. It will have plants for filtration, it will be a single species tank, with little light. Anyone able to get me one? I'm in Greensboro nc. My mom doesn't quite get why I want to drive 10 miles to go jump in a muddy riverbank like some bum, lol. Can't really blame her I guess, although it can be fun.

Edited by Thyroyalgeek, 16 January 2018 - 11:16 PM.

#2 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:53 AM

Jonah's may be able to get them in. I think one of his suppliers runs into them from time to time.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#3 Fritz H

Fritz H
  • NANFA Member
  • Richmond VA

Posted 17 January 2018 - 10:47 AM

Not sure how your going after them, but seining probably won't be very productive. Try any channelized swamp/marsh area you can find and work a small mesh dip net, making sure to get deep into the vegetation lining the channels. I have had the best luck starting right where the base of the vegetation wall meets the bottom , and then swiping up and into the grass. They are somewhat cryptic, but if you find the right habitat you should be able to produce a few. May have to hold off until warmer weather comes around though.

#4 Thyroyalgeek

Thyroyalgeek
  • NANFA Guest
  • North carolina

Posted 17 January 2018 - 02:18 PM

What is,"jonahs"?

#5 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 17 January 2018 - 04:29 PM

Jonahs Aquarium. Google it
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#6 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 17 January 2018 - 04:48 PM

If you want to catch your own, the closest streams to Greensboro would be in southern Moore County around Southern Pines, Aberdeen, and Rockingham, about 70-80 miles south from GBO.  When you get some, use fine sand and leaf litter on the bottom, NOT gravel, which they can get stuck in.  They are not clever fish.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#7 Thyroyalgeek

Thyroyalgeek
  • NANFA Guest
  • North carolina

Posted 17 January 2018 - 06:13 PM

They are rather stupid as I have heard. Diving into the sand is their main defense which is why I have a nice fine bed of sand.

#8 Thyroyalgeek

Thyroyalgeek
  • NANFA Guest
  • North carolina

Posted 17 January 2018 - 07:08 PM

How many do you think I could keep in a 15 gallon tank, MAX?

#9 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:59 AM

And here I felt rather proud of myself for catchin' a zillion of 'em one day. Shoulda know something was up when I'd be sucked into the mud halfway to my knees and manage to fall over into the water several times and still score a bunch of 'em that I really wasn't qualifying as a master netter...

That was in SC somewhere, Geek, not close to you. It was just a side road off a back road that a NANFA buddy knew to hit. I'm with you, they are pretty cool looking fish and have thought they'd be fun to try out. Fritz H is steering you right with technique from my limited experience, and Gerald has never steered me wrong, either.
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#10 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 18 January 2018 - 08:00 AM

If you want to catch your own, the closest streams to Greensboro would be in southern Moore County around Southern Pines, Aberdeen, and Rockingham, about 70-80 miles south from GBO.  When you get some, use fine sand and leaf litter on the bottom, NOT gravel, which they can get stuck in.  They are not clever fish.

They are rather stupid as I have heard. Diving into the sand is their main defense which is why I have a nice fine bed of sand.

So tech challenged I can't even multi-quote properly on the forum. Or use those emoticon thingies to bang a smily face into a wall to emphasize frustration...
Matt Knepley

#11 Thyroyalgeek

Thyroyalgeek
  • NANFA Guest
  • North carolina

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:35 AM

Don't worry about being tech challenged, this forum is a bit tricky to navigate.its much easier in other forums like xenforo,caudata.org,monster fish keepers. On mfk they have advanced picture and pdf uploading stuff, a bunch of emoticons, you can input whether you want it to be a full image or thumbnail, and all kinds of other stuff. I had two more questions, how many do you think I could keep in a 15 gallon tank?, and two, do you KNOW, that there are swampfish in these places?

#12 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 18 January 2018 - 10:16 AM

I'd guess 15-20 could live comfortably in a 15 gal.  They don't really interact much, and i've never seen them fight.

Below are some sites where NC-DWR has collected swampfish during their water quality sampling work over the past 15 years.  Cant say for sure that you'll catch any, but they do (or did) occur at these sites.  Also check the dot maps in Edward Menhinick's Freshwater Fishes of NC (1991) for more sites.  The K.C. Edwards Library in GBO should have a copy. 

NC-DWR Fish Sampling Data:   https://deq.nc.gov/a...essment-program

DEQ-DWR Fish  Data, Jan 2017.  Chologaster sites Neuse to Yadkin             CPF Colly Cr US 701 Bladen 34.7108 -78.4568 CPF Bones Cr SR 1400 Cumberland 35.0633 -79.0389 CPF Grove Cr NC 11/903 Duplin 34.9706 -77.9586 CPF Mathews Cr NC 111/NC 903 Duplin 35.0983 -77.8193 CPF Muddy Cr NC 41/NC 111 Duplin 34.8427 -77.7973             NEU Tuckahoe Swp SR 1142 Jones 35.0322 -77.5794 NEU Tuckahoe Swp SR 1142 Jones 35.0322 -77.5794 NEU Creeping Swp NC 43 Pitt 35.3918 -77.2310             LBR Ashepole Swp NC 41 Robeson 34.4119 -79.1222 LBR Ashepole Swp SR 2455 Robeson 34.4467 -79.1661 LBR Ashepole Swp SR 2455 Robeson 34.4467 -79.1661 LBR Buffalo Cr SR 1203 Hoke 34.9753 -79.3581 LBR Gum Swp NC 71 Robeson 34.7925 -79.2833 LBR Quewhiffle Cr SR 1225 Hoke 35.0489 -79.4169 LBR-WAC Juniper Cr SR 1928 Columbus 34.1542 -78.5322             YAD none        

Attached Files

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#13 Dustin

Dustin
  • Forum Staff

Posted 18 January 2018 - 12:31 PM

Jonahs Aquarium can certainly get them with ample notice.  Catching your own can be frustrating.  I see them most often in mucky piles of leaves or root wads in slow moving small streams.  Dipnetting for them requires a LOT of sorting through mud and debris and will certainly test your patience.  They are very cool fish though that more closely resemble salamanders in their movement and appearance.  

Dustin Smith
At the convergence of the Broad, Saluda and Congaree
Lexington, SC

#14 Thyroyalgeek

Thyroyalgeek
  • NANFA Guest
  • North carolina

Posted 18 January 2018 - 06:35 PM

i e-mailed jonah`s aquarium and he told me they get them very rarely. almost never. i was really looking forward and interested in Chologaster Cornuta, but he said he can get me some pirate perch which look a bit different but seem similar. could a single mottled sculpin be kept in a 15 gallon? sorry about all the questions just a bit curious is all.

#15 Thyroyalgeek

Thyroyalgeek
  • NANFA Guest
  • North carolina

Posted 18 January 2018 - 06:37 PM

wait i just realized your dustin smith! brian told me he had made them available through you once, but he said he wasn`t shipping anymore. are you able to get me any? its ok if you`re not doing it anymore, though.

#16 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:17 PM

Dustin was who I was thinking of as well. Sounds like Jonah's may be able to get some in with some notice.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#17 Thyroyalgeek

Thyroyalgeek
  • NANFA Guest
  • North carolina

Posted 18 January 2018 - 10:17 PM

I told Jonah to notify me if they ever get any in.

#18 Dustin

Dustin
  • Forum Staff

Posted 19 January 2018 - 09:35 AM

I am famous apparently.  I will keep an eye out for some and let you know if/when I see them.

Dustin Smith
At the convergence of the Broad, Saluda and Congaree
Lexington, SC

#19 Thyroyalgeek

Thyroyalgeek
  • NANFA Guest
  • North carolina

Posted 19 January 2018 - 09:38 AM

K

#20 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 19 January 2018 - 10:00 AM

I am famous apparently.  I will keep an eye out for some and let you know if/when I see them.

Another groupie? If this keeps up the only person riding shotgun in your finchasin' vehicle is gonna be your ego, huh, Dustin?

Just don't forget,most of Marlboro County hates you. ;)
Matt Knepley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users