Photo

Turkey Creek BioBlitz 'Bama April 2018

9 replies to this topic

#1 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 05 February 2018 - 01:44 PM

Looks like we will have the opportunity again this Spring.  Several of us had a wonderful time a couple years ago camping and seining and contributing with fishy fellowship.  The weather should be ideal in late April, Spring will be in the air and the water comfortable enough to snorkel while wearing a wet suit.

We compiled an article that was in a recent issue of American Currents.  I'm not sure which issue?

From a search on the internet i could not find a date for the 2018 Darter Festival.  It would be nice if they sync again.  In 2018 i would like to see fish pedaling bicycles.

Attached is Turkey Creek Charles' invite and flyer but we should work together as a NANFA team and coordinate our activities.

Post here if interested to coordinate.

Bioblitz flyer 2018-01.JPG

We are very excited to announce the return of the spring BioBlitz at the Turkey Creek Nature Preserve! This year's event will begin this year on April 27th at noon and continue through noon on April 28th. 

This will be the 6th time we have hosted a BioBlitz, and every time we discover many new things that have a huge impact on our understanding of our unique habitats. In fact, these events have lead to the documentation of four new protected species in the area, which has resulted in numerous research and restoration projects. So, not only is this a fun event, but it also has a direct impact on future stewardship efforts!

For those of you not familiar, a BioBlitz is a 24-hour event in which teams of volunteer scientists, families, students, teachers, and other community members work together to find and identify as many species of plants, animals, microbes, fungi, and other organisms as possible. This is a fun and exciting opportunity to come together as a community and share our knowledge and hopefully learn a little along the way.

Participants are welcome to come and stay as long as they would like during the 24-hour period. We will have space for camping, and will provide dinner on the night 27th and breakfast on the 28th.

If you are an educator, please encourage your students to take part in this! This is really a great opportunity to inspire passion for biological diversity, and we get so few chances to do it in such a relaxed setting.

Feel free to invite and share the attached flyer with anyone you think might be interested in attending. 

To help us coordinate this event, please RSVP by sending an email to Cyeager@bsc.edu and include:

-Participant name (if your an instructor and plan to bring students, an approximated headcount will suffice)
-Anticipated Arrival/Departure time(s)
-Will you be camping?

-Will you join us for Dinner (4/15) and/or Breakfast (4/16). Do you have any dietary concerns/restrictions we should be aware of?
-Are you interested in leading groups for a particular field of study?
-What field of study are you most interested in exploring for this event? 

This event is always very fluid, with people coming and going throughout the event, therefore there will not be a strict schedule of when groups will be going out for any particular outing. We will be sure to have someone to meet all participants at the front gate and let them know what is happening when they arrive. 

Here are few outings we would like to see included, if anyone is interested in leading one of these (or have something else they are interested in), please let us know!
-Aquatic Survey
-Plant Walk and Survey
-Herp Survey 

-Mothing (Friday Evening)
-Birding (Saturday Morning)
-Mosses/Lichens Survey (anytime)
-Insect Survey (anytime)

-Mist Netting for bats (Friday evening)

Closer to the date, I will send an email out to anyone who has RSVP's with more details concerning the schedule and logistics.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Hope to see you there!

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#2 fundulus

fundulus
  • Global Moderator

Posted 05 February 2018 - 02:13 PM

Yeah, I can finally meet up with Martin and give him back his net.

Bruce Stallsmith, Huntsville, Alabama, US of A

#3 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 06 February 2018 - 01:13 PM

Birmingham's Darter Festival will be held on April 15th, a Sunday.

So unfortunately it will NOT sync with the BioBlitz.

There had been talk about building a pavilion providing better bathrooms and power for battery charging... but still not yet.  Maybe this Fall.

Thus it will again be primitive camping with portajohns. 

Nonetheless it will be a lot of fun as it was a couple years ago.

April 27 and 28.  I would plan on camping both nights and heading home midday Sunday.

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#4 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 06 February 2018 - 08:45 PM

Mist netting for bats? Such a super cool addition.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#5 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 06 February 2018 - 11:34 PM

I went the last time and it was a great event!  I would love to see NANFA volunteer and host/sponsor/lead the fish survey part (which is ind of unofficially did when we were there last time).  But this time if we volunteer in advance we might be able to get our name out there. I really hope that we can do this as an organization... this is right up our alley.

Unfortunately I will not be available that weekend.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#6 DanielFolds

DanielFolds
  • NANFA Guest
  • Georgia, Chattahoochee Drainage

Posted 09 February 2018 - 08:16 PM

are we signing up individually or as a NANFA group? I'll definitely be coming, really been wanting to go to a Turkey Creek bioblitz since I first read about it two years ago

#7 fundulus

fundulus
  • Global Moderator

Posted 10 February 2018 - 09:44 AM

I'll contact Chuck at the Preserve and tell him we're coming as a NANFA group, somewhere between 3 and 20 people, but we'll be there.
Bruce Stallsmith, Huntsville, Alabama, US of A

#8 Irate Mormon

Irate Mormon
  • NANFA Member
  • Crooked Creek, Mississippi

Posted 12 April 2018 - 09:31 AM

I'm planning to be there Fri. afternoon/evening thru Sun.  Hoping this works out.  There was some question because my truck is not reliable over long distance.  That question was settled when, at 540,000 miles, the engine seized up.  So now I have a new ride.  Now all I need is for the work schedule to gel. 

I'm hoping Stott makes it, we had talked about noodling around on guitar and stuff, but we'll see.

-The member currently known as Irate Mormon

#9 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow

Posted 27 April 2018 - 03:40 PM

I'm hoping Stott makes it, we had talked about noodling around on guitar and stuff such as catfish, but we'll see.

Bernie may help with some of the other stuff.

Don't lose count.

Noodled vs Netted.

Casper Cox

#10 Irate Mormon

Irate Mormon
  • NANFA Member
  • Crooked Creek, Mississippi

Posted 02 May 2018 - 01:01 PM

It was good to meet Daniel, Bernie, and assorted other folks.  Got to see my first Alabama shiner, Warrior bass, and Rush darter.  Didn't see a LOT of fish, and we never did find out where the mist net was.  It was supposedly placed somewhere but nobody knew where.  Next event is supposed to be this Fall - I am on the mailing list now so I'll be sure to keep the group posted if Casper doesn't beat me to it.  I was disappointed that there weren't more NANFA people there, but it was still great fun. 

-The member currently known as Irate Mormon

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users