When do you start collecting?

10 replies to this topic

#1 elting44

elting44
  • Regional Rep
  • Salina, KS

Posted 07 February 2018 - 04:01 PM

Good afternoon, 

I am new to NANFA and was wondering what time of year do you start dipnetting / microfishing.

I live in north central kansas and was wondering when you guys start in your neck of the woods.  In my experience from sport fishing, panfishing can be hit or miss while it is this cold and the fishing are still holed up.  I may go out starting the first week in march, but I want to know if I should be scouting locations and not wasting time trying to collect until it warms up more

Also, I dont see a lot of discussion on cast netting for collecting, particularly for sunfish.  In Kansas I believe it is legal to cast net for bluegill and other sunfish species, and they can be take from the body of water as long as it isn't designated Aquatic Nuisance Species body of water.  Is cast netting frowned upon because it is too stressful on the fish?

thanks

Tyler Elting -  Intersection of the Saline, Smoky Hill and Solomon Rivers, Kansas
"Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men" -Matthew 4:19

#2 ShadetreeIchthyologist

ShadetreeIchthyologist
  • Regional Rep
  • Charleston SC

Posted 07 February 2018 - 04:13 PM

I haven't stopped collecting this winter with my seine net. I've been somewhat successful with darters, dace, and sculpins. I plan to go this weekend and get some redhorse If you have waders and cabin fever why not try your local waters? When the weather warms up just a few degrees and it's sunny the small fish get pretty active.

"Amateurs can potentially make valuable contributions to our knowledge of fishes". - Etnier and Starnes

#3 Dustin

Dustin
  • Forum Staff

Posted 07 February 2018 - 04:19 PM

In SC, we don't stop.

Dustin Smith
At the convergence of the Broad, Saluda and Congaree
Lexington, SC

#4 MtFallsTodd

MtFallsTodd
  • NANFA Member
  • Mountain Falls, Virginia

Posted 07 February 2018 - 04:52 PM

I fish and collect year round.
Deep in the hills of Great North Mountain

#5 elting44

elting44
  • Regional Rep
  • Salina, KS

Posted 07 February 2018 - 05:02 PM

Thanks for the replies, Ill get out there and see what I can come up with.  My aquarium isn't even filled or cycled yet, I am finishing the plumbing this weekend.  But I am dying to get out there

Tyler Elting -  Intersection of the Saline, Smoky Hill and Solomon Rivers, Kansas

#6 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 07 February 2018 - 05:36 PM

Cast netting just isn't efficient for many of the fish people are targeting. Hard to catch darters and small shiners with a cast net. Most states don't allow Lepomis tobe taken with any net, so most angle for them or net juveniles from private bodies of water. Keeping fish during colder months is usually easier on the fish, as long as you allow them to warm up to room temperature gradually. Good luck. Give it a shot.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#7 JasonL

JasonL
  • NANFA Member
  • Kentucky

Posted 07 February 2018 - 07:16 PM

I have had success dipnetting any time the water isn't frozen and as noted it's easier on the fish. Air temps can be a limiting factor for me personally but there are some hard core guys on here where that's not an issue either.

#8 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 07 February 2018 - 09:28 PM

Sub-freezing air temp can be limiting for the FISH, especially very small ones, even if the angler can tolerate it.  Fins and cornea can freeze in a few seconds with temp in the 20's, and subsequent infection a few days later can kill the fish.  Otherwise, winter collecting is great and makes transport a lot safer.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#9 taldridge0321

taldridge0321
  • NANFA Member
  • Pigeon Watershed, North Carolina

Posted 08 February 2018 - 07:39 AM

Cast netting can be a great way to get bigger species, Redhorse, Suckers etc. Betts makes a Tyzac net with smaller diameter mesh that will catch Shiners/Darters/Madtoms. Get that one for smaller species and a 4-6 footer for Redhorse.  I've caught Redhorse up to three pounds in cast nets and Bass up to five pounds. 

For microfishing, Winter can be tough. The Shiners in creeks are typically in one or two deep holes, and you have to find the holes to find the fish. You can almost forget about the Darters unless you are using a dip net. I fish year round and have less luck in Winter, however, you can catch certain species year round. 

Hope this helps.

Tim Aldridge

#10 elting44

elting44
  • Regional Rep
  • Salina, KS

Posted 08 February 2018 - 11:20 AM

Thank you to everyone for the advice.  I am primarily targeting Orangespotted and Longear sunfish at this time, but eventually would like to try and collect some madtoms or larger shiners. 

#11 fundulus

fundulus
  • Global Moderator

Posted 08 February 2018 - 12:04 PM

In north 'bama we can collect pretty much year-round, since rivers never freeze except occasionally along the edge. Gerald is right, be careful with air temperatures, freezing air can zap fish, and also your seine may freeze between hauls.

Bruce Stallsmith, Huntsville, Alabama, US of A

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users