Darter compatibility

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#21 9darlingcalvi

9darlingcalvi
  • NANFA Guest
  • Northern Minnesota

Posted 17 February 2018 - 08:34 AM

Would dwarf hairgrass be a good stream plant? I was thinking about getting one or two of the tropica cups and diving them up to small chunks and planting them in a random pattern

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#22 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 17 February 2018 - 08:38 AM

Thank you for the picture, that actually really helped me out! Now I think I’ll just weight the wood down or try to get all the tannints out. So far for my tank I will be spending the most money on the pumps and led lights.

Save some money

https://youtu.be/9QSxJymRBak

These are cheap, and all over Ebay.

https://rover.ebay.c...tm/302383732527

Sent from my ONEPLUS 5 using Tapatalk

Josh Blaylock - Central KY
NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#23 9darlingcalvi

9darlingcalvi
  • NANFA Guest
  • Northern Minnesota

Posted 17 February 2018 - 09:11 AM

Save some money

https://youtu.be/9QSxJymRBak

These are cheap, and all over Ebay.

https://rover.ebay.c...tm/302383732527

The ones I found are $20

#24 9darlingcalvi

9darlingcalvi
  • NANFA Guest
  • Northern Minnesota

Posted 17 February 2018 - 09:16 AM

https://www.amazon.c...la-313113204696

#25 9darlingcalvi

9darlingcalvi
  • NANFA Guest
  • Northern Minnesota

Posted 17 February 2018 - 11:33 AM

Another thing I just thought of, with the manifold have the two pumps in the left and right corner on one end of the tank, could I fit in an aqua clear 50 hang on back filter between the pumps for more filtration?

#26 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 17 February 2018 - 12:18 PM

Another thing I just thought of, with the manifold have the two pumps in the left and right corner on one end of the tank, could I fit in an aqua clear 50 hang on back filter between the pumps for more filtration?

Absolutely

NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#27 9darlingcalvi

9darlingcalvi
  • NANFA Guest
  • Northern Minnesota

Posted 17 February 2018 - 12:56 PM

Absolutely

So I’ve been reading about the sand shiners and Johnny darters and they prefer calmer pools so could I make like an area where the back pump is higher than the other pump so there’s a small section of calmer water?

#28 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 17 February 2018 - 03:03 PM

Making a calm area is a good idea, but Johnny darters won't mind that amount of flow. Are you dead set on sand shiners for a reason? Maybe this is meant to be a regional tank? Otherwise, I would do the Chrosomus, and or a Cyprinella or Lythrurus. I disagree with my dear friend Josh. I think fantail darters have more personality than bandeds. Yes they have less color, but they have EGG MIMICS! Honestly, I would drop the Johnny darters, and do banded and fantail. All depends on what you like.

Two decent sized sponges are plenty of filtration for a 20. More is good, but no matter how much you overkill filtration, there are still nitrates. So good light, good substrate and plants might be a better trade off if you are working on a budget.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#29 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 17 February 2018 - 03:15 PM

Vallisneria might work okay planted towards the rear of the tank. Might be neat in the current.

#30 9darlingcalvi

9darlingcalvi
  • NANFA Guest
  • Northern Minnesota

Posted 17 February 2018 - 03:46 PM

Making a calm area is a good idea, but Johnny darters won't mind that amount of flow. Are you dead set on sand shiners for a reason? Maybe this is meant to be a regional tank? Otherwise, I would do the Chrosomus, and or a Cyprinella or Lythrurus. I disagree with my dear friend Josh. I think fantail darters have more personality than bandeds. Yes they have less color, but they have EGG MIMICS! Honestly, I would drop the Johnny darters, and do banded and fantail. All depends on what you like.

Two decent sized sponges are plenty of filtration for a 20. More is good, but no matter how much you overkill filtration, there are still nitrates. So good light, good substrate and plants might be a better trade off if you are working on a budget.

I was thinking sand shiners because of the shimmer and BTdarters has them and I’m going to college I’m Wisconsin so I could just drive here to pick them up. For substrate I’m thinking of using larger rocks, pebbles and sand found in a stream if I could. I was thinking about keeping the johnnies and maybe just add a single fantail? And thank all of you for helping me with this even though it’s a year or two out of the way

#31 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 17 February 2018 - 04:18 PM

Gives you time to work it all out. Sure, picking fish up from Brian will be nice and easy, he has been doing this for a long time, He knows what he is doing. Don't let shipping scare you off of a wider array of fish though. Jonah's has a great stock list. Mark does a great job. Zimmerman's has downsized a bit, but Brian can get fish to your doorstep in great health. Aquabid has some decent sellers as well. If you see a Dsmith73 listing, you can't go wrong ordering. Oh, and Sach's, they have a good selection, I ordered a redfin pickerel from them a dozen years ago and was happy with the transaction.

You have many options. The best option in my opinion is going to be that fishing license.

#32 9darlingcalvi

9darlingcalvi
  • NANFA Guest
  • Northern Minnesota

Posted 17 February 2018 - 09:39 PM

709e7c1d8f3ea039d9dde564f4f194e0.jpg

This is super dumb, now I guess all this dies
Or Is there such thing as a 10 gallon long?

Edited by 9darlingcalvi, 17 February 2018 - 09:48 PM.

#33 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 17 February 2018 - 10:04 PM

Planning and fishing can be a lot of the fun. You have plenty of time ahead of you to make it happen.This probably has to do with insurance and is their policy.. Bummer for sure.

#34 9darlingcalvi

9darlingcalvi
  • NANFA Guest
  • Northern Minnesota

Posted 17 February 2018 - 10:32 PM

Planning and fishing can be a lot of the fun. You have plenty of time ahead of you to make it happen.This probably has to do with insurance and is their policy.. Bummer for sure.

I might go out and get some native darters or just go and find the hardscape, then order all the fish from places? I’m going to do 2 separate tanks now. One ruffle as the other more slack water. How many gallons do you think these tanks are from the Tennessee aquarium? a7d8bfdc04c8a24c585c2b0efad95e7a.jpge3c389c2dcabf2e43780f78ddabb7b27.jpg

#35 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 18 February 2018 - 05:05 PM

Not sure. 30 gallons?

#36 9darlingcalvi

9darlingcalvi
  • NANFA Guest
  • Northern Minnesota

Posted 18 February 2018 - 06:00 PM

Not sure. 30 gallons?

Ah, they just look so small. My new plan is to take 2 of the tanks that they have and try to replicate them. I like how the box shape is and how it’s all dark. I’m thinking in one tank having a 2 tanks, one slack water and one “riffle”
Slackwater:
Trio of Johnny darters
Pair of Iowa darters
Trio of banded killifish
Ghost shrimp & snails

“Riffle”
Pair of rainbow darters
Pair of banded darters
Fantail darter
4-5 sand shiners or red belly dace

#37 9darlingcalvi

9darlingcalvi
  • NANFA Guest
  • Northern Minnesota

Posted 18 February 2018 - 07:46 PM

Ah, they just look so small. My new plan is to take 2 of the tanks that they have and try to replicate them. I like how the box shape is and how it’s all dark. I’m thinking in one tank having a 2 tanks, one slack water and one “riffle”
Slackwater:
Trio of Johnny darters
Pair of Iowa darters
Trio of banded killifish
Ghost shrimp & snails

“Riffle”
Pair of rainbow darters
Pair of banded darters
Fantail darter
4-5 sand shiners or red belly dace

Found this Cool tank dimension. Might make these for my dorm tanks, love the dimensions c44ca2e241818e82c8525f48f4c65c82.jpg6db078f133a101ee5a27307e6b4ce859.jpg

#38 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 18 February 2018 - 08:30 PM

Just go with a 10gal. They are cheap and easy. I kept a 10gal in my office for years, and still have it running now.

You can easily keep 3-4 darters and 5-6 minnows in it. A nice HOB will handle the fish. I like to use the metal screen tops instead of the traditional lids.

NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#39 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 18 February 2018 - 08:58 PM

12 1/2 by 30 by 6 inches deep could make a neat riffle tank though. Much more interesting than standard 10 gallon. Maybe your filter could hold another 10 gallons? :biggrin: Maybe it could be a tub with lighting packed full of plants and scuds.

The habitat, flow, etc. does not have to be perfect for you to keep a hand full of darters and shiners happy. A sponge filter and regular water changes can handle quite a few fish. A HOB filter, would do equally as well without taking up tank space. I prefer the simplicity of sponges myself.

A one way flow may be ideal, but the fish will be fine without if cared for properly. Good filtration, good food and water changes. You're set.

#40 9darlingcalvi

9darlingcalvi
  • NANFA Guest
  • Northern Minnesota

Posted 18 February 2018 - 11:28 PM

Just go with a 10gal. They are cheap and easy. I kept a 10gal in my office for years, and still have it running now.

You can easily keep 3-4 darters and 5-6 minnows in it. A nice HOB will handle the fish. I like to use the metal screen tops instead of the traditional lids.

12 1/2 by 30 by 6 inches deep could make a neat riffle tank though. Much more interesting than standard 10 gallon. Maybe your filter could hold another 10 gallons? :biggrin: Maybe it could be a tub with lighting packed full of plants and scuds.

The habitat, flow, etc. does not have to be perfect for you to keep a hand full of darters and shiners happy. A sponge filter and regular water changes can handle quite a few fish. A HOB filter, would do equally as well without taking up tank space. I prefer the simplicity of sponges myself.

A one way flow may be ideal, but the fish will be fine without if cared for properly. Good filtration, good food and water changes. You're set.

Okay, so I’m thinking about doing one as the 1/2-10 gallon dimensions as a riffle tank and will custom build it. The slack water tank will be a basic 10 gallon. Both will be setup to look like the Tennessee aquarium picture I showed earlier with info cards about the fish and what to feed/ how often so if someone has to watch my fish they know what to do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users