"grandis" is very appropriate...

3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2007 - 11:51 AM

I managed to visit a local SF Bay urban stream over the weekend. Everything sampled via flyrod and small barbless-hook nymph (the stream hosts a remnant run of T&E steelhead). The stream gets a large turbid influx upstream from a major aquaduct, substrates were very heavily embedded and it was clearly nutrient-enriched (and they wonder why the remnant T&E steelhead run isn't faring better?). Still, native Sacramento pikeminnow were abundant and awfully cute. How can you not love a face like that?

I'm still amazed at the anti-minnow bias that so many Americans have, especially when we have so many magnificent cyprinids. Why would people ever want to introduce more largemouth bass (and better yet, why does California STILL sanction the stocking of LMB in farm ponds rather than native Sacramento perch!)?

More pics in the gallery.

http://gallery.nanfa...y/Fishes of CA/

Attached Images

• IMGP1591.JPG

#2 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2007 - 11:59 AM

That's a really nice photo, great catch. Do you have any full body shots of it? I agree with you about the lack of appreciation for cyprinids and other natives. It's a shame the same few gamefish are stocked all over the place, really cuts down on the biodiversity NA has to offer and the unique species found in various part of the country.

#3 Guest_tricolor_*

Guest_tricolor_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2007 - 12:56 PM

Too much promotion of "gamefish" perhaps? Anyway the pikeminnow is quite interesting.

#4 Guest_madtom15_*

Guest_madtom15_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2007 - 01:34 PM

Great pictures, Dave. I've been enjoying seeing the things you see out there on the other side of country. Yeah, if people want LMB, why are they living in the west? Lately I've been reading through of the old Soltz and Naiman booklet on the Death Valley system. Bulldozers, water diversion, introduced species and interbreeding. It's downright sad.

Travis

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users