Photo

New to natives 75g stocking

7 replies to this topic

#1 Jett

Jett
  • NANFA Guest
  • Wisconsin

Posted 28 February 2018 - 04:31 PM

I have a 75g that is currently set up as a saltwater tank. As soon as I rehome the fish, I want to use the tank for my black bullhead.

I'm wondering if there's anything I could put with him. He's only 3 inches right now. I've been told that tankmates should be the same size.

I've been looking on the Jonahs website and I like the look of yellow perch. They seem like they would get too big for a 75g though.

Any tankmate ideas? Should I just keep it a species only tank?

Also, I will be buying pfs and driftwood with slate rocks for decor. None of the saltwater stuff will be used.

I've been keeping tropicals for years, but Native fish are new to me. Any help is greatly appreciated 😊

#2 elting44

elting44
  • Regional Rep
  • Salina, KS

Posted 28 February 2018 - 04:55 PM

Hello Jett!

As I understand it, Bullhead are a lot like other predatory catfish species and will typically eat (or attempt to) anything they can fit into their mouths.

I would think a Green Sunfish of equal or larger size could hold its own. Greenies are known for being pretty territorial but from what I gather that is mostly toward conspecifics (eg other Lepomis)

Tyler Elting -  Intersection of the Saline, Smoky Hill and Solomon Rivers, Kansas
"Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men" -Matthew 4:19

#3 Jett

Jett
  • NANFA Guest
  • Wisconsin

Posted 28 February 2018 - 05:49 PM

I have a few greenies from petco that were sold as adoption jack dempsies. They're in a 120g with 2 bumblebees and a yellow lab. The lab is the boss, but the greenies will kill anything that is not similar shaped.

They offed a pleco that was the same size. I'm not sure if that's normal or not. I treat them as highly aggressive rift lake cichlids.

#4 elting44

elting44
  • Regional Rep
  • Salina, KS

Posted 28 February 2018 - 06:01 PM

How big are the greenies currently?  The fact that they were mislabeled at PetCo is the least surprising information I have read today....  

Tyler Elting -  Intersection of the Saline, Smoky Hill and Solomon Rivers, Kansas
"Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men" -Matthew 4:19

#5 Jett

Jett
  • NANFA Guest
  • Wisconsin

Posted 28 February 2018 - 06:30 PM

They're about 5 inches. Petco weren't sure what they were. They just had them labeled as adoption dempsies. I called the dnr when I found out what they were to see if I could legally keep them. The guy I talked to said as long as I bought them and kept the bill of sale.

#6 JasonL

JasonL
  • NANFA Member
  • Kentucky

Posted 01 March 2018 - 10:10 AM

Greens and other larger Lepomis should work with a bullhead. I think you'd be better off with just one Green long term rather than 2 in a tank that size. With a pair (and no other dominant fish like your yellow lab to keep their behavior in check)) one will eventually overtake the other and may bully it to death.

My understanding is yellow perch ultimately like more space than a 75 and won't take to pellets right away unless trained.

#7 lilyea

lilyea
  • NANFA Member
  • Peace River Watershed, Central Florida, USA

Posted 01 March 2018 - 10:25 AM

I have kept and bred bullhead in a 500+ gallon pond and in a 150g aquarium (currently I have some in both). In addition to the bullhead, the 150 has a large bluegill, dollar, Texas cichlid, and about ten large golden shiners. In this setup caves for the bullhead are important. From my experience, structure for the sunfish and open swimming areas for the shiners are also helpful. When I only had 5-6 bullhead in the 150 I found them to be far more interactive and enjoyable. As mentioned in other posts, bullhead can be predatory but I have not had issues with my current stocking and aquascaping.

#8 Jett

Jett
  • NANFA Guest
  • Wisconsin

Posted 01 March 2018 - 12:04 PM

I'm not sure I want to mess with my 120g. It has 4 greens, 2 bumblebees and 1 lab. Maybe if I take out the 2 smaller greens and put them in with the bullhead? Or the 3 cichlids? The lab is a jerk. More so than the bumblebees.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users