Photo

Collecting in North Florida Springs/State Parks

7 replies to this topic

#1 ufaquaculture

ufaquaculture
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 07 March 2018 - 08:26 PM

Does anyone know if it is legal to collect freshwater fish from state parks? Or does anyone know of any places where to collect?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 07 March 2018 - 10:41 PM

Check out the license and regulatiosn for Florida to get the best answer http://myfwc.com/license/ but I think the answer is yes, you are OK in many state parks.

Check out the Florida Collecting Guide .  It has exactly this information.

https://tbas1.com/TB...guide_2015.html

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 08 March 2018 - 02:47 PM

Just to be safe I would also check with local park staff when you get there.  State, city and county park signs in my state (NC) usually say that "fishing" is allowed, immediately followed by "it is unlawful to collect or remove any animal, plant, mineral, or archaeological artifact".  Taking fish with nets may be viewed as "collecting" rather than "fishing" depending on who's running the park office that day.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#4 Jayme symons

Jayme symons
  • NANFA Guest
  • Daytona Beach fl

Posted 22 August 2019 - 10:04 AM

I know you can't in the springs but outside of the springs you can as long as you have your freshwater license and are not taking game fish it's legal. I've got over 40 species of natives fresh and salt all with dip netting

#5 Doug_Dame

Doug_Dame
  • NANFA Member

Posted 22 August 2019 - 09:09 PM

My experience in Florida state parks ... not recent ... is that where fishing is allowed, things often change when you're seen with a dipnet or especially a seine. That [often/sometimes] gets you shut down. I have pointed to the state regulation stating that my gear is a legal with a recreational fishing license, and the confronting officials have never been able to cite any specific rules supporting their point of view, but it's been clear that if I did not cease & desist that things would escalate in a direction that would be unpleasant for me. So I have desisted as requested, and very rarely even try collecting/sampling at state parks any more.

Microfishing is low profile, and should be no problem anywhere fishing is allowed. 

National Forests are great however. 

Doug Dame

Floridian now back in Florida

#6 jhodge

jhodge
  • NANFA Guest
  • Mississippi

Posted 27 May 2022 - 11:10 PM

Check out the Florida Collecting Guide .  It has exactly this information.

https://tbas1.com/TB...guide_2015.html

This link appears to be broken. Is this resource possibly available somewhere else?

#7 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 30 May 2022 - 08:12 AM

This link appears to be broken. Is this resource possibly available somewhere else?

This was a labor of love (not profit) by the guys down in Florida and I do not believe that they are keeping it up to date anymore, nor offering it for sale.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#8 jhodge

jhodge
  • NANFA Guest
  • Mississippi

Posted 31 May 2022 - 06:50 PM

This was a labor of love (not profit) by the guys down in Florida and I do not believe that they are keeping it up to date anymore, nor offering it for sale.

OK. Thanks for the info.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users