Photo

Sunfish near Gulf Shores, AL

3 replies to this topic

#1 sunny17

sunny17
  • NANFA Member

Posted 08 March 2018 - 10:38 AM

Well, we've changed our family vacation plans to head down to Gulf Shores for the third week in March.  Anyone be able to help with some possible locations to catch sunfish near the area?  Would not even mind driving an hour or so to get to a good spot if I had to.  Would love to catch longear, redbreast and maybe some dollars?

Thanks!

#2 JasonL

JasonL
  • NANFA Member
  • Kentucky

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:41 AM

I would refer you to Fishmap.org. Type in the zip code and it can get you a list of species and some collection points for various watersheds in the area.

#3 brackishdude

brackishdude
  • NANFA Member

Posted 08 March 2018 - 01:46 PM

You did not say where you were coming from, or how "exotic" the deep Gulf South specimens may be to you, but pretty much any roadside ditch or larger body of water will have interesting specimens and likely Sunfish.  I find the best luck for Sunfish with a casting net.

It may also be an opportunity to sample brackish water, my longtime favorite, with many specimens you would swear belong in a marine tank.

Enjoy the Redneck Riviera!

Edited by brackishdude, 08 March 2018 - 01:56 PM.

As your fellow, I can demand of you no more, and accept no less, than I allow to be demanded of myself

#4 sunny17

sunny17
  • NANFA Member

Posted 08 March 2018 - 01:52 PM

What a great website, Thanks Jason! 

Heading from the upper Midwest and just want to catch some of the sunfish that I don't get a chance to catch up here!  Really love longears and hope to catch some on ultralight gear!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users