Photo

Bio Blitz at Turkey Creek, Alabama, This Saturday April 28

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 fundulus

fundulus
  • Global Moderator

Posted 22 April 2018 - 09:35 AM

Hello all, the time is upon us. The Turkey Creek Nature Preserve in Pinson, Alabama, will hold its Bio Blitz this Saturday, April 28, starting at noon and running through noon the next day. NANFA people are welcome to attend and collect fish for ID. We went two years ago at the last event which was a lot of fun. I know that Martin of the Moores said he's going, anyone else? I even found my copy of their fish ID booklet for the creek.
Bruce Stallsmith, Huntsville, Alabama, US of A

#2 DanielFolds

DanielFolds
  • NANFA Guest
  • Georgia, Chattahoochee Drainage

Posted 22 April 2018 - 10:20 PM

is it ok if i bring two guests with me?

#3 DanielFolds

DanielFolds
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 23 April 2018 - 03:45 PM

one would be my ride. another is a friend I would like to introduce to nanfa and see if he might want to become a member or would they have to sign up separately?

#4 fundulus

fundulus
  • Global Moderator

Posted 24 April 2018 - 12:43 PM

Sure, come on down, I told Charles at Turkey Creek there would be at least three or four NANFA people so he's ready. You don't really have to sign up for any thing certainly in advance although it's great if people join NANFA.

#5 DanielFolds

DanielFolds
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 24 April 2018 - 03:18 PM

great thanks! so it's from noon friday to noon sat. I'm assuming we can camp there friday night?

#6 fundulus

fundulus
  • Global Moderator

Posted 24 April 2018 - 05:27 PM

Here is the schedule, broadly, as I received from Charles Yeager. I realize I've been confused, thinking it was Saturday/Sunday as in the past; it really goes from Friday to Saturday.

Below are some highlights of the activities that are occurring. Keep in mind that these are just the ones that are scheduled, there will be plenty of other taxa groups coming and going that are not necessarily scheduled throughout the event.

April 27th:
Noon - Start of Registration
Noon - 3:00pm - fish seining with Bernie Kahaja
6:00pm (ish) - Dinner-Vegi Chili - Prepared by Anne and James of the Friends of Turkey Creek with the support of the Urban Environmental Studies Dept at Birmingham Southern College
8:30pm (ish) - Mothing (Pete Van Zandt and Grant Gentry)/mist netting bats (Winston Lancaster)/other survey groups (herps/etc)

April 28th:
7:00am - ?? Birding - extra Binoculars will be provided by Birmingham Audubon
7:00am - 8:00am Breakfast
8:00am - 11:30pm: Survey Groups
11:30pm - Noon: Event Wrap up

#7 Irate Mormon

Irate Mormon
  • NANFA Member
  • Crooked Creek, Mississippi

Posted 03 May 2018 - 09:02 PM

Bio-Blitz was great fun - I got to meet Daniel and "friends".  They are planning another one in the Fall.

-The member currently known as Irate Mormon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users