FishMap.org Watershed Functionality

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 rc6750

rc6750
  • NANFA Member
  • Tampa Bay, FL

Posted 30 April 2018 - 09:51 AM

FishMap.org has the ability to locate a watershed by entering your postal code or by clicking on a point on the map (which gets the postal code for that location). This would then query data owned by the EPA and return the watershed data by postal code. 

Recently this information has been removed from the EPA web site and is not currently available. I have contacted them, but if this information is not returned and I do not find a substitute this feature may have to be removed from the site. 

Any zip code that has been search before will still work because I was storing the data locally, but any new zip codes will bomb.

I will keep you updated.

#2 riverman1

riverman1
  • NANFA Guest
  • Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin

Posted 30 April 2018 - 10:58 PM

Thanks for the update RC6750.

#3 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 01 May 2018 - 01:15 PM

Ah man, that sucks.  That was one of the best features of fishmap

Josh Blaylock - Central KY
NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#4 rc6750

rc6750
  • NANFA Member
  • Tampa Bay, FL

Posted 01 May 2018 - 02:27 PM

Ah man, that sucks.  That was one of the best features of fishmap

Yeah - gonna do my best to find a solution - will keep you all updated.

#5 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 01 May 2018 - 05:30 PM

What can we do? As an organization? As individuals? This information was very useful and should be available to the public. I will write a letter.

Do you have contacts that we could petition?

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#6 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 02 May 2018 - 07:38 AM

This does stink. However, Ryan is correct in that anything you have already searched by zip code is there. At least it was for me.
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#7 rc6750

rc6750
  • NANFA Member
  • Tampa Bay, FL

Posted 02 May 2018 - 07:53 AM

What can we do? As an organization? As individuals? This information was very useful and should be available to the public. I will write a letter.

Do you have contacts that we could petition?

I have communications into them and am waiting to hear back. This may not be intentional - could just be a mistake on their part or a code issue. Let me hear back (or not hear back after awhile) before we do anything. Sure, if it reaches that point I could use your help, but let me try and figure out what happened first.

Meanwhile I am looking into different areas where I can get this data - I don't think this is unsolvable but I need to look into it more.

#8 FirstChAoS

FirstChAoS
  • Regional Rep

Posted 04 May 2018 - 11:18 AM

I hope they get Fish Map working. Though I admit it is not too useful for me personally as it includes dozens of rives with slightly different fish assemblances under the name middle Connecticut.

#9 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 04 May 2018 - 12:19 PM

I hope they get Fish Map working. Though I admit it is not too useful for me personally as it includes dozens of rives with slightly different fish assemblances under the name middle Connecticut.

Submit vouchers Josh. You can help make it more accurate.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#10 rc6750

rc6750
  • NANFA Member
  • Tampa Bay, FL

Posted 29 May 2018 - 09:58 AM

I have updated the code to use a different EPA source of data and the map and zip code look ups should be functioning again. Please let me know any issues. 

#11 Ken Kilby

Ken Kilby
  • NANFA Guest
  • Georgia, Upper Flint

Posted 29 May 2018 - 10:11 AM

It worked for me. Also, it had seemed to me that the associated species list should have been able to be sortable by the Latin name and it wouldn’t. Now it does if I go to the watershed via the zip code search. It won’t if I go to the watershed via my old book marks.

#12 rc6750

rc6750
  • NANFA Member
  • Tampa Bay, FL

Posted 29 May 2018 - 10:27 AM

It worked for me. Also, it had seemed to me that the associated species list should have been able to be sortable by the Latin name and it wouldn’t. Now it does if I go to the watershed via the zip code search. It won’t if I go to the watershed via my old book marks.

Can I see one of your old bookmark URLs so that I can troubleshoot that?

#13 Ken Kilby

Ken Kilby
  • NANFA Guest
  • Georgia, Upper Flint

Posted 29 May 2018 - 10:34 AM

I just got finished deleting them. However I just tested this: which is how I got my bookmarks to start with, browse all water sheds, South Atlantic/Gulf ,Apalachicola, Apalachicola, select Upper Flint from choices. Species not sortable by Latin name.

#14 rc6750

rc6750
  • NANFA Member
  • Tampa Bay, FL

Posted 29 May 2018 - 10:52 AM

I just got finished deleting them. However I just tested this: which is how I got my bookmarks to start with, browse all water sheds, South Atlantic/Gulf ,Apalachicola, Apalachicola, select Upper Flint from choices. Species not sortable by Latin name.

That is a bizarre bug - give me a bit and I will fix it. 

#15 rc6750

rc6750
  • NANFA Member
  • Tampa Bay, FL

Posted 29 May 2018 - 11:01 AM

That is a bizarre bug - give me a bit and I will fix it. 

Ok this should be fixed now - thanks, let me know any other issues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users