How is this for Irony

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2007 - 10:09 AM

http://www.santacruz...ies/02local.htm
Note the Ad right in the middle of it.......

Here we have an article about how released pet red ears are running amok and then you have an ad for the worst of the retailers of turtles out there....Google ad matching gone very wrong.

#2 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2007 - 10:38 AM

The ad must have changed. If you see it again, snap a screenshot.

#3 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2007 - 01:01 PM

I think this is the one?

Attached Files

#4 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2007 - 02:35 PM

This is a problem that neither state nor federal agencies have the resources to deal with. Two years ago an inspector for the Department of Agriculture seized undersized, illegally collected turtles from some Mall vendors around Birmingham, AL, an act of unparalleled brutality if you believe the vendors (HA!). But I'm sure they're back doing it again.

#5 Guest_Histrix_*

Guest_Histrix_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2007 - 01:06 PM

I agree. The government really doesn't have the resources to deal with these problems. And then there's the fact that nature doesn't operate in "government time" -- by the time a law is made to combat these problems, it's probably already too late. I'm afraid that the last hope for keeping invasives out is to educate the public, which is also probably a lost cause :(

#6 Guest_TurtleLover_*

Guest_TurtleLover_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2007 - 12:35 PM

Someone seriously screwed up on ad placement. I wonder if they even noticed?
I agree that educating the public is hard. Facilities built to help restore native species get a lot of flak from the public. We were called a waste and trash fish farmers. You were constantly defending the place and it's mission. Some people are just too ignorant to understand the importance of natives and the impact invasive species have on them.

#7 Guest_viridari_*

Guest_viridari_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2007 - 03:11 PM

I doubt that ad was placed there by a person. More likely, an ad engine harvested the web page for keywords and found an ad with a strong keyword correlation.

#8 Guest_Histrix_*

Guest_Histrix_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2007 - 03:24 PM

It's still sort of sad, even if the ad was matched by a bot.

#9 Guest_iturnrocks_*

Guest_iturnrocks_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2007 - 10:15 AM

Heres another sad Turtle mismatch. The Legends in Kansas City is a new shopping center that "honors" the legends of Kansas- in this case the Gopher Tortoise which is not even found in Kansas. This has been up for over a year now, even though I contacted them about it, I guess they think its close enough for the average joe.

Posted Image

#10 Guest_bullhead_*

Guest_bullhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2007 - 10:52 AM

I don't get it. Is the picture of a gopher tortise, not the ornate box turtle?

#11 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2007 - 10:56 AM

Yes the picture is of a Gopher tortoise...That is a pretty stupid mistake on their part.

#12 Guest_iturnrocks_*

Guest_iturnrocks_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2007 - 01:02 PM

Dont feel bad, youre in the majority. I didnt know it was a gopher tortoise at first because we dont have them here and Ive never seen one, I just knew it wasnt any kind of box turtle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users