New guy from Georgia

7 replies to this topic

#1 Ken Kilby

Ken Kilby
  • NANFA Guest
  • Georgia, Upper Flint

Posted 12 May 2018 - 04:00 PM

Hello all.
I kept an aquarium several years ago and really enjoyed it. Ended up giving the whole set up away to a neighbor because we were moving.

Im planning now for a new 29 gallon aquarium with native fish. We have a couple of tiny streams on our farm with equally tiny fish in them. Im looking forward to it and to participating in this forum.

#2 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 12 May 2018 - 06:14 PM

Welcome aboard! GA is pretty active NANFA territory, so I'm sure you'll have no shortage of intel to find here. Where in GA are you? We are having our annual convention in Young Harris next month...
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#3 Ken Kilby

Ken Kilby
  • NANFA Guest
  • Georgia, Upper Flint

Posted 12 May 2018 - 06:21 PM

I’m about 70 Miles SSW from Atlanta. I’ve spent a good bit of time in the NE Georgia mountains. Some really pretty streams there.

#4 NotCousteau

NotCousteau
  • NANFA Guest
  • Minnesota

Posted 12 May 2018 - 07:53 PM

Welcome!

#5 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 12 May 2018 - 10:04 PM

Welcome to NANFA.  You have some nice sand loving fishes down there that would make a nice 29 gallon tank.

• longjaw shiner (E. amplamala)
  • longnose shiner (N. longirostorus)

just starting with those two would be great sand bottom aquarium.  both of those species dont do well on regular substrate, but will thive on sand... you also have some other fun fish within your general range... even some nice Pteronotropis down that way.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#6 Doug_Dame

Doug_Dame
  • NANFA Member

Posted 12 May 2018 - 11:49 PM

About 70 miles SSW of Atlanta ... so the general area of LaGrange? Not only are you in range of some of Georgia's most fun fish, but you can easily get to some great locations and fish in Alabama too. And the Florida panhandle, for that matter.

Your biggest problem may be the 29 tank. As in, only one tank. (But it's a VG start.)

Another fun thing to do would be to catch some of those tiny fish in the tiny creeks on your property, and identify and observe them. (But never release fish that have been in captivity back to the wild.)

Here's a list of most of the f/w fish in Georgia, click-able to show a species description, photo (usually) and a range map.

Get on Michael's +/- NANFA Georgia e-mail list, he sends out alerts when the local NANFAns are plotting some excursion or activity. Although this year I am sure he is totally pre-occupied with next month's national convention, in north Georgia. Speaking of which, should be a great time. And a fabulous way to see a lot of new fish, and meet a bunch of fun (but possibly crazy) people. Having that kind of event right in your backyard, right when you're getting interested in native fish, is an Unmistakable Sign From G*d. (Or some god. Or maybe the Flying Spaghetti Monster. For those of us who aren't necessarily real perceptive and intuitive, it would be handy if all the plenipotentates would sign their messages. But I digress...) 

Doug Dame

Floridian now back in Florida

#7 Ken Kilby

Ken Kilby
  • NANFA Guest
  • Georgia, Upper Flint

Posted 13 May 2018 - 07:59 AM

I’m really interested to see what I can come up with. Our land has a ridge down the middle with a creek on either side. The head waters of both are only 400-500 yards upstream. Each takes a separate path to the Flint which is about 2 1/2 Miles downstream. One creek is separated from the river by a farm pond. The other one flows free to the river.

#8 riverman1

riverman1
  • NANFA Guest
  • Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:41 AM

WELCOME!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users