Fat lighter knots

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Ken Kilby

Ken Kilby
  • NANFA Guest
  • Georgia, Upper Flint

Posted 22 May 2018 - 08:24 AM

Do yall think they would leach bad stuff into an aquarium? Seems to me like one that has probably been laying out in the weather for decades probably wouldnt but I dont know.

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 22 May 2018 - 10:37 AM

Do we need to edit the title of this post or am I confused?
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Ken Kilby

Ken Kilby
  • NANFA Guest
  • Georgia, Upper Flint

Posted 22 May 2018 - 10:57 AM

You must be a transplanted Georgian if you are not familiar with fat lighter knots.

#4 michifish

michifish
  • NANFA Member

Posted 22 May 2018 - 12:58 PM

fire starters

#5 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 22 May 2018 - 02:25 PM

Hard, dense, resin-rich base of a pine branch.  Basically a support "bone" where branch joins trunk.  Do any other trees beside pines have these?

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#6 lilyea

lilyea
  • NANFA Member
  • Peace River Watershed, Central Florida, USA

Posted 22 May 2018 - 02:31 PM

When you ask about fat lighter knots I assume that you are asking about a part of a weathered, fallen pine tree to be used as driftwood in your aquarium. In addition to sap and aroma concerns (that may be gone because of the decades of weathering), pine is a soft wood and will breakdown faster than hardwoods that are traditionally used in aquariums. Although it is not the best option, you probably will be ok with this piece. Additionally you may want to make sure the tank has extra filtration and realize that It will probably take a lot longer to sink on its own.

#7 Ken Kilby

Ken Kilby
  • NANFA Guest
  • Georgia, Upper Flint

Posted 22 May 2018 - 02:33 PM

I have occasionally picked up (probably) an oak knot whilst scrounging for pine knots. In case it was not obvious I wanted to use one or more of these for decoration in my new aquarium.

Edit to add: while it is pine there isnt much of what you would think of as wood left. It is hard as a rock and if you hold a match to it the resin oozes out like melting plastic.

#8 TimothyHD

TimothyHD
  • NANFA Guest
  • Menomonee Falls, WI

Posted 23 May 2018 - 11:14 AM

I was coming here for Knot tying instruction...

#9 Irate Mormon

Irate Mormon
  • NANFA Member
  • Crooked Creek, Mississippi

Posted 23 May 2018 - 05:59 PM

Since fat lighter is mostly resin I would think it would be resistant to dissolving in water.  I say go ahead and try it - the worst that can happen is all your fish will die.

-The member currently known as Irate Mormon

#10 Irate Mormon

Irate Mormon
  • NANFA Member

Posted 23 May 2018 - 06:01 PM

For those not familiar with the stuff, fat lighter is a very valuable resource as a superior means of starting fires.

#11 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 23 May 2018 - 06:44 PM

Since fat lighter is mostly resin I would think it would be resistant to dissolving in water.  I say go ahead and try it - the worst that can happen is all your fish will die.

If you do not yet know Martin, know that he has an uncanny way of predicting that fish will die. Eventually. He probably cleans up at the dog tracks.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#12 Irate Mormon

Irate Mormon
  • NANFA Member

Posted 24 May 2018 - 03:52 PM

I got banned from the tracks because I told all the owners their dogs were gonna die.  The dogs did eventually die, but they didn't have to blame it on me.  Sheesh.

#13 Doug_Dame

Doug_Dame
  • NANFA Member

Posted 24 May 2018 - 10:22 PM

You used to have about 50% of your posts where you'd confidently predict that something was gonna die. You have been notably more optimistic this past year.

Doug Dame

Floridian now back in Florida

#14 Irate Mormon

Irate Mormon
  • NANFA Member

Posted 26 May 2018 - 06:23 PM

Being psychic was too heavy a burden - I shrugged it off my shoulders and proclaimed myself free of it.  I still get hunches but I mostly keep them to myself. 

Mostly.

#15 PondNewby

PondNewby
  • NANFA Guest
  • Florida

Posted 29 June 2018 - 06:52 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatwood

Heart longleaf yellow pine (Fat lightered) is technically a softwood but has qualities more like a hardwood.  It is great for flooring and is used for cabinetry (not the knots, the clear grained parts).  It's very dense.

Edited by PondNewby, 29 June 2018 - 06:54 PM.

#16 Fleendar the Magnificent

Fleendar the Magnificent
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ohio

Posted 21 November 2018 - 07:04 PM

Not fat lighter knot directly, but choose your wood carefully because wood DOES leech tannins/tannic acid into the water and while typically harmless to the fish, it turns your water brownish-orange. Oak wood is high in tannins. Walnut is another one. You might be able to reduce the coloring of your water by soaking these pieces outside in a bucket of water for a few months before putting them into your tank.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users