Photo

Georgia native tank

56 replies to this topic

#1 Ken Kilby

Ken Kilby
  • NANFA Guest
  • Georgia, Upper Flint

Posted 23 May 2018 - 01:45 PM

I got my new 29 gallon tank put in position today. Added two bags of fluorite and covered that with water. Looks like a mud hole right now and Im going to wait until at least tomorrow to finish filling.

Went down to the farm yesterday to gather some rocks and gravel. Saw a bunch of fish. Also ordered some plants this morning since I didnt see anything likely in the creek.

To be continued.....

#2 Irate Mormon

Irate Mormon
  • NANFA Member
  • Crooked Creek, Mississippi

Posted 23 May 2018 - 05:32 PM

What plants did you order, and from where?

Most of the plants I see in the wild grow emersed.  That makes them good for ponds but not much help for aquaria.

-The member currently known as Irate Mormon

#3 Ken Kilby

Ken Kilby
  • NANFA Guest
  • Georgia, Upper Flint

Posted 23 May 2018 - 06:34 PM

Ludwigia repens and Vallisneria americana, from Sachs. I’m not too far from St. Augustine, I hope they are good.

#4 Ken Kilby

Ken Kilby
  • NANFA Guest
  • Georgia, Upper Flint

Posted 24 May 2018 - 02:15 PM

Put rocks and a stump in this morning and installed the filter, cover and light. I was afraid this Eheim 2213 was going to be too much but it doesn’t seem so with it running. Ready for my plants now.

#5 Irate Mormon

Irate Mormon
  • NANFA Member
  • Crooked Creek, Mississippi

Posted 24 May 2018 - 03:38 PM

Eheims don't push a lot of water - I had one and I wasn't convinced it was worth the money. 

I've always had trouble with Val for some reason, except this one tank I had that received some direct sunlight.

-The member currently known as Irate Mormon

#6 Ken Kilby

Ken Kilby
  • NANFA Guest
  • Georgia, Upper Flint

Posted 24 May 2018 - 04:31 PM

It’s supposed to be pumping over 100 gallons per hour. I don’t think it is doing anything like that. I may need to tweak the media some, I loaded it up with what came with it. My old aquarium had an Eheim and it gave good service so I decided to get another one

My last aquarium started off as a Walmart kit and I had replaced everything but the tank within three months. This setup seems good at the start. I may end up with a different light and cover though.

I’ve been staring at the water all afternoon.

#7 Ken Kilby

Ken Kilby
  • NANFA Guest
  • Georgia, Upper Flint

Posted 07 June 2018 - 09:30 AM

Yellowfin Shiner? Caught in a very small head water creek. Upper Flint watershed.
I cant make the picture post right side up. Here is a link to my gallery.
http://forum.nanfa.o...e/993-notropis/

Attached Images

• 1ECA73F5-C1E5-4241-BDF0-6A1BD644C27B.jpeg

#8 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 07 June 2018 - 09:52 PM

Stoneroller....

Just kidding, yes its a yellowfin.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#9 Ken Kilby

Ken Kilby
  • NANFA Guest
  • Georgia, Upper Flint

Posted 08 June 2018 - 06:16 AM

I thought they were all the same when I scooped them up. Now I think that a couple are something different, based on appearance and behavior. The two stay busy picking algae off the rocks. Here is a better picture of one in the aquarium. Ive been reading up on the relationship between Yellowfin Shiners and Bluehead Chubs.

Attached Images

• 4C518CC1-AAF6-4E00-9E22-8D8C71585F42.jpeg

#10 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 10 June 2018 - 12:07 AM

So I wasn't really kidding . The two fish in the other picture were  stoneroller and a yellowfin shiner.  The fish in this picture looks like a stoneroller to me and the behavior you are talking about is consistent with that as well.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#11 Ken Kilby

Ken Kilby
  • NANFA Guest
  • Georgia, Upper Flint

Posted 10 June 2018 - 06:57 AM

I thought you were kidding or it was an inside joke. Based on the range map and a few pictures of juveniles I have found it is most likely Campostoma pauciradii.

#12 TimCodger

TimCodger
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 12 June 2018 - 05:00 AM

I thought you were kidding or it was an inside joke. Based on the range map and a few pictures of juveniles I have found it is most likely Campostoma pauciradii.

It seems to me from the photo it's hard to understand exactly what kind of fish 

#13 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 12 June 2018 - 08:05 AM

Knowing the location (and being nearby) makes it rather easy.

#14 Ken Kilby

Ken Kilby
  • NANFA Guest
  • Georgia, Upper Flint

Posted 16 June 2018 - 01:28 PM

After a week in the tank my fishes seem to be thriving.  The Yellowfin shiners usually color up at least a little bit everyday.  They did in particular for a while this afternoon.  They are hard to photograph. 

gallery_21831_106_765485.jpg

#15 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 16 June 2018 - 04:53 PM

very nice

#16 Doug_Dame

Doug_Dame
  • NANFA Member

Posted 16 June 2018 - 08:56 PM

An underappreciated fish. (Except by Mr. Wolfe.) I need some.

Doug Dame

Floridian now back in Florida

#17 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 16 June 2018 - 10:10 PM

Everybody at the convention got some!

#18 Ken Kilby

Ken Kilby
  • NANFA Guest
  • Georgia, Upper Flint

Posted 17 June 2018 - 10:18 AM

So, I found a pea size snail in my tank this morning.  The plants have been in there for ten days.  I rinsed them and looked for snails but I know I could have overlooked one.  Surely it didn't grow to pea size from an egg in ten days.  The substrate includes several shovels full of gravel from the creek bottom, I rinsed the silt out but I'm guessing that is where it came from.

The yellowfin shiners are really nice aquarium fish, I think.  Very active and fun to watch.  They get excited and start hitting the surface looking for food as soon as the tank lid opens.

I also think there is a tiny fleck of gold on a piece of quartz visible in this image.  : )

gallery_21831_106_1682468.jpg

#19 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 17 June 2018 - 01:50 PM

In my opinion snails are a positive. Diversity is good. And Im not at all convinced that they eat live plants. I purposely add them to my native tanks.

#20 Ken Kilby

Ken Kilby
  • NANFA Guest
  • Georgia, Upper Flint

Posted 17 June 2018 - 02:04 PM

For the near term I wanted all the animals in the tank to be from our creek.  So, I'm going to tell myself it came from there with the gravel.

Just dropped a deer tick in that I picked off myself, shiner ate it with great enthusiasm.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users