Photo

Donations

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 09 May 2007 - 11:51 AM

If you have any fish related items that could be donated to the 2007 NANFA Convention for the Auction, please contact me via PM.
Drew on the Mighty Potomac River

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? - Juvenal

#2 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator

Posted 09 May 2007 - 12:19 PM

Jim Graham sent us ten "NANFA 2007 Greensboro" hats, the good quality cloth kind.
Thanks Jim !!

If you have any fish related items that could be donated to the 2007 NANFA Convention for the Auction, please contact me via PM.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#3 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator

Posted 16 May 2007 - 01:17 PM

We need someone to Coordinate the Auction and Raffle Friday after the talks.
Any Volunteers ??

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#4 Irate Mormon

Irate Mormon
  • NANFA Member

Posted 16 May 2007 - 04:08 PM

We need someone to Coordinate the Auction and Raffle Friday after the talks.
Any Volunteers ??

Is Phil doing the auction this year?

-The member currently known as Irate Mormon

#5 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator

Posted 24 May 2007 - 02:16 PM

killier wrote:

... contacted me if it was ok with you about bringing sailfin mollies to the convention for donations? I had asked about mummichogs but then I remembered their range...

Rob, we're looking into that. sailfin molly and mummichog are native here, can be collected as bait fish, and of course sailfin mollies are standard in the pet trade. But i cant say for certain that its legal for us to auction fish species that are native or naturalized in NC. It is important to NANFA that we do things right.

the NC-WRC fishing regulations booklet is a bit confusing and contradictory regarding collecting and sale of non-game fishes. One of my favorites begins on page 27: "in Lake Waccamaw any length seine may be used to collect bait fishes." Then on page 29 (Seasons and Waters for taking non-game fish) we find: "Columbus County: Dec 1 -Mar 1 with gigs in all public waters except Lake Waccamaw and its tributaries. Dec 1 -Jun 5 with dip and bow nets in Livingston Creek." (In other words, there is NO open season for seining in Lake Waccamaw). There are also conflicting places in the regs book that say non-game fish can and cannot be sold.

Fortunately our NANFA trip leaders will have a scientific permit which authorizes seining for both game and non-game fishes. But selling fish is a separate issue.

So, For now i'll just say that we can safely auction or trade fish species that meet all of these criteria: 1) not native or naturalized in NC, 2) not an NC game fish, 3) not a protected species, and 4) not a prohibited species. (the only North Amer fish prohibited in NC so far is red shiner Cyprinella lutrensis). NC protected species that folks might be tempted to bring as aquarium fish include bluefin killie, least killie (Het formosa), "true" yellowfin shiner (Savannah), and turquoise darter. Golden-ear killie is probably OK; not (yet) considered a native here by WRC.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse

#6 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator

Posted 24 May 2007 - 02:21 PM

Is Phil doing the auction this year?

I dunno if Phil is coming. Does he use this forum?
Can one of you who has his email ask him ?

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse